Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start command.com & other 16-bit apps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brawgates

Brawgates

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

Hi

I've been running several old 16 bit applications (eg Lotus Organizer 2.1) on my XP Pro SP2 system successfully for more than 2 years. These applications and the command.com Start/Run command worked equally well within both Admin User accounts and Restricted User accounts.

In March 2010, I upgraded to SP3. Since then these same 16 bit applications and command.com only work in Admin User accounts. They fail to start in Restricted User accounts. Instead I get the popup Windows message:

A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure the directory path exists, and disk space is available.

I reserve my Admin User accounts for maintenance only usage, so I would like to resolve this problem.

It seems that the solution could be a setting somewhere, but so far I've been unable to locate it. Suggestions welcomed!

Brawgates

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

I see lots of persons getting the same situation with 16-bit subsystem...but I don't see any clear definition of cause/cure.

I would try running the sfc /scannow command on the premise that a key file is damaged/missing, since a reinstall has cleared this for some.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Try using cmd instead of command.com

#4 Brawgates

Brawgates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Gentlemen - Many thanks for your quick response, your interest and your thoughts.

Louis

I'll give Sfc.exe a go over the next few days (the pressures of building our new house take priority!!) and post back my findings.

Cryptodam

I'd already played with cmd. No joy I'm afraid. cmd does open a DOS box normally in Restricted Accounts - but then suffers from the same errors when I attempt to open 16-bit applications within it.

Best wishes to you both

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users