Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping at startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cshell4642

cshell4642

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

I have a question if someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. We bought a computer off of Craigslist a couple of years ago for my daughter. It's worked just fine for her, she's 10 now. The last time she was on it a few weeks ago it was fine. I recently turned it on to use her CD-ROM drive since my computer is down. When I hit the power button, I got one long beep, so I just shut it off. I'm not sure what it has, and now that it won't boot, can't get into to tell you. It is a clam shell case which I hate and I opened it up, the mobo says DELL on it. Is there a general list of what beeps mean, so I know where to start. I was told maybe the battery on the board??
I'm picking her up another used computer, with a case I can get into and would like to give this one to a friend who doesn't have one, If I can fix it. So if someone can just point me in the general direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks.......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

You got one long beep, but was there any thing displayed on the monitor?

Like checksum error, or anything else.

Replacing the battery could very well solve the problem, but once this is done, you would have to enter the motherboards BIOS setup utility to correct the date and time and load system defaults.

If you need further help with this procedure, please come back and request that information from us.

I also own a Dell computer with the same clamshell case you speak of, so I know what you're talking about.

If replacing the battery and loading system defaults does not work, then we will have to figure out what the beep codes means.

I want to caution you, any time work is performed inside a computer, you need to keep yourself grounded to the computers metal case at all times, static electricity from your body can permanently damage the sensitive electronic components found inside a computer. I also suggest disconnecting the power wire from the AC outlet as well.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 April 2010 - 12:23 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 cshell4642

cshell4642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the reply, I found it and I kinda feel stupid. The keyboard wasn't plugged in....oops. I may have another problem I will have to post in Windows XP section. I've tried about everything I can think of.
Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users