Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mapped drive password won't stick

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jcress

Jcress

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

I have an XP SP3 machine on a Win2008 R2 server network, in a workgroup not a domain, that refuses to remember its username and password after start up or reboot. Ther are 8 other machines in the office configured exactly the same without any problems remembering the username and password for the same mapped drives.

Any ideas?

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

Is the box checked to connect automatically?

#3 Jcress

Jcress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

Yes the box is checked however I just found this fix that worked for me. Apparently, some tool bars such as Yahoo change a registry entry causing the password to not be remembered. Here's the post from a guy name Adam Johnson that I found:

When Yahoo toolbar gets installed it sets the following registry value:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-926492609-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
AppData = %AppData%

The problem here is AppData should actually be the following

AppData = %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

So when MSN or other apps that use that registry key go to save their data it gets lost.

So the solution is simple, run regedit and go to

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-926492609-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

and set the value AppData to a data value of %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users