Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advantages and Disadvantages of running an Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fearmyawesome

fearmyawesome

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hi there,

I consider myself to be fairly adept at using computers, whether that be Windows or Linux.
For a long time, I have run my computer without any antivirus in the background, and it is much faster than it would be otherwise.
Since I know what I am doing, I have never downloaded any kind of virus on my windows partition, although I know enough to remove most viruses in about 5 minutes, but anything with a rootkit takes me longer. If worse comes to worse, i can always just format reinstall, or just delete crap from my Linux partition, since my windows partition isn't used for anything besides games.

Given these type of scenarios, Why should Computer Technicians and IT Professionals use an Antivirus?
I keep all of my Malware Removal Tools up to date: MalwareBytes, Hijackthis, etc. and I know how to use them.
What purpose does an Antivirus have for skilled computer users?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

Even experienced computer users make mistakes, you'd be lying if you said you didn't. You can accidentally click a malicious link, mistype a URL, etc. So having a layer of PREVENTION rather than cure, can take the hassle away from having to reformat. Most modern AV programs do not cause a noticeable slow down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users