Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes and Hijack This will NOT run

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amaynard6

amaynard6

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

I am so overwhelmed! I am a college student trying to finish my final projects for the semester and can't get anything done because of this malware. Back in January I took my computer in, paid $80 to have a root kit virus removed because of a google redirect, and now it is doing the same thing. On top of that, I am getting pop ups. I am constantly getting this fake XP Software Virus Removal running fake downloads. I tried to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HiJack This, but it is giving me an error message. I tried removing Malwarebytes, and it won't even let me remove the program! I have no idea what to do, and can't afford to take my computer back in. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give!!! Thank you SO much!
Amber

Edited by elise025, 05 April 2010 - 08:47 AM.
Topic moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. Other types of malware may delete the main mbam.exe executable file during installation or when attempting to perform a scan which results in various errors. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for using Rkill or downloading a renamed version of mbam.exe. Do not reboot after running Rkill. Immediately after running this tool, you need to perform your scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Note: You may have to make repeated attempts to use Rkill several times before it will run as some malware variants try to block it.

If you get an alert that Rkill is infected, ignore it. The alert is a fake warning given by the rogue software which attempts to terminate tools that try to remove it. If you see such a warning, leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this sometimes allows you to bypass the malware's attempt to protect itself so that Rkill can perform its routine.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users