Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB for storage devices not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:04 AM

Any storage device I connect through a USB, it wont install properly.

Below is a screen shot of the device manager with 2 pen/flash drives and a memory card reader connected.

Posted Image

What should I do to get them working.

Regards
Delta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

Have you tried formatting the flash drives first?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

All of a sudden, all the flash drives including an external hard drive which worked before, now they are not working. Its weird.

The USB mouse is working, only storage devices are failing to install.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

Ok, I checked the image above more closely, all your USB drives are showing an exclamation mark next to the drives.

This is indicating you are missing a driver to make those devices work properly.

Try right clicking those devices and see if updating the driver works.

If they worked before, try rolling the driver back and see if this fixes the problem.

This may not fix the problem, but at least we can say it was tried and we can move onto another solution.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Also, after trying what MrBruce1959 has suggested, think about whether or not the drives are getting enough power to operate. Sometimes once working drives will fail to work from the USB ports not putting out as much power anymore. Try having one plugged in at a time and see if that works, and/or get a powered USB hub if you dont mind spending a few bucks.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

Ok, I checked the image above more closely, all your USB drives are showing an exclamation mark next to the drives.

This is indicating you are missing a driver to make those devices work properly.

Try right clicking those devices and see if updating the driver works.

If they worked before, try rolling the driver back and see if this fixes the problem.

This may not fix the problem, but at least we can say it was tried and we can move onto another solution.

When I try to update the drivers, it says that the latest driver is installed. Also the rolling back driver button is disabled.

@s1lents0ul - I tried plugging one at a time and the same result.

Since my hard drive has failed ( but still operating), that could be the problem. Its under warranty, Ill return it when Im done backing up and will see when a fresh windows reinstall will fix this problem.

Regards
Delta

Edited by Delta16, 05 April 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

I would uninstall the USB controllers (via Device Manager) and reboot...the USB drivers reinstall automatically.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users