Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best router

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jt23

jt23

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

Looking for a wireless router and wanted to know what peoples opinions are on what is the best brand to buy or which specific model works the best Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

just picked up an rtn10 by asus
nice little router for reasonable price.
compact wireless n, decent range, lots of configurable options.
up and running in less then 10 minutes.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

That is like asking for advice on buying a car without giving your own preference, you'll get a 100 different recommendations.

Start with what is normally the big factor, price. How much are you wanting to spend?

Do you need wireless?

If yes, do you need G or N?

How many PCs are you looking to connect?

Do you want simple and easy? or complicated and difficult?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

The main things I am looking for are

$70 or less

Something with good range not a very big house only 1500 Sq feet house

something with good network speed

Also Looking for a router which will let us acess files and printers from any computer on the network

I don't know the difference between G 0r N so not sure which one I need or want.

A total of three computers connected to the router the main compute which is connected to the modem and then One laptop and one desktop. both not more than 100 feet away

OK after reading more I think A G router is the best option since the laptop already has a wireless card and as I understand with N routers you have to use the same manufacturer for the router and wireless adapter to achieve good speeds.

Edited by jt23, 05 April 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

The reason I ask about G vs N is for the time being N routers are going to be a little bit more expensive and if you don't have the need for it then why spend the money? On the other hand, N routers will do G speeds as well and is the latest technology. As I have said before, they aren't going backwards with wireless they are only going forward. If you had to buy new wireless cards the chances are better that you'd buy N cards then your G router would be a limiting factor.

So the laptop and second PC ( the one not connected to the modem ) would both be wireless and the first PC would be wired to the router?

If you are going to buy a wireless "card" to connect the second desktop you might as well buy one with N speed.

You can mix and match cards and routers, they'll work just fine.

Most all routers will broadcast their signal plenty far enough for your home.

My recommendation would be find a N speed router that isn't overloaded with features. I like external antennas but that's a personal preference. Here is some from Newegg that would fit your needs. I like the D-Link DIR-628, its a little more than you wanted to pay but isn't loaded down with features you don't need. But that is just my personal opinion.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

check out asus's linup
seriously i didn't know what to think about them as usually you see them in the Motherboard Category but they have a nice selection all in your budget.
plus they are very configurable.
http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCatego...ireless-Routers

#7 jt23

jt23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for all the info Actually since it was my moms decision in the end we ended up getting a Linksys WRT 160N and also purchased a Linksys N wireless Usb adapter, So we will see how it works.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:25 AM

Couple things - change the password to access the router. This is the one you enter in when you type 192.168.1.1 in a browser.

Use WPA2 for the wireless security. You can use letters(caps and lower case and it matters), numbers, symbols, and spaces. So a simple 4 - 5 word sentence is good enough for a pass phrase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users