Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue thick intermittent line

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Franja

Franja

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

I had to reinstall Windows Vista 32 bites, and now Im having a black screen with an intermittent thick blue line running across the screen. That happens after the running bar of Microsoft Corporation finishes and just before the welcome Vista screen. I removed the windows.old folder that remained after the reinstall, hoping that it will be the culprit. But the blue line is still there. By the way there still appears a windows.old folder, but the delete function tells me that its not in drive c/, while my computer shows it in that drive. Dont know if its part of the problem.

Any idea of what is causing that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:41 AM

Suggest you update your video driver from the manufacturer's site.

#3 Franja

Franja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

Thank you Aus, I worked around the video driver. When I tried to updated thru the "update drive" on the control panel, my PC crashed and had to reinstall the old driver using my original drivers CD from Dell.

I received a notice from Windows to avoid those crashes, but dont know which option to download. Im attaching the page address to see if you could help me.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-73047

By the way, after all this updating and reinstalling, my PC is working well, with the exception of frequent restarts of my Firefox browser.

Thanks again

#4 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:57 AM

You are using Vista 32 bit OS.
Can you please tell us what model notebook you have as per the list in the Lenovo notice (i.e. on the list in the link you provided above).

#5 Franja

Franja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

Well Aus, that's my problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 Notebook, but it's not in the list that the link has, which are:

* Lenovo C200
* Lenovo N100, N200 (Machine Type: 0769)
* ThinkPad Reserve Edition
* ThinkPad R61, R61e, R61i
* ThinkPad R400, R500
* ThinkPad T61
* ThinkPad T400, T400s, T500
* ThinkPad X61, X61s, X61 Tablet
* ThinkPad X200, X200s, X200 Tablet, X301

Is there a place where I can look that up in my PC? or, these updates do not apply to my Inspiron?

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Windows was incorrect with the link it gave you. I have seen this happen personally on my own Dell. It gave me the same Lenovo link for some strange reason....

Nevertheless, here are your correct drivers:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...INS_PNT_PM_1720

Not sure if faulty graphics drivers are at fault here, but it's the first thing to try.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users