Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Won't Boot After XP (Dual Boot) Attempt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJS1138

DJS1138

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

I just bought a computer and ran into some issues due to time. I'm a Dj and don't drink in the booth, try to keep anything like that away from the gear but there's always a drunk chick in every bunch that likes to get too close, and well my old lappy took a drink. It had a good 4 year run and was looking to get a new one anyway. So I bought an Acer Aspire 8942g. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium. I suspected that my Serato (Dj program) was not going to be fully supported as of yet and gave it a whirl fresh out of the box and sure enough, problems. I had only a few hours to go before I had to go to a gig so I needed the laptop to run this program.

I shrunk my Win 7 drive to give me enough room for a dual boot. Installed XP on the free partition switching the SATA to IDE from AHCI, got the OS going but this configuration really doesn't do the program justice, plus since the components are much newer than XP, there are no existing drivers for the wireless. So I needed to get back into 7.... and that's when I found out it won't boot.

Apparently in the install my 100mb partition was given a drive letter, so even after trying to restore from the back up partitions it still only runs XP, and when I deleted XP it just won't boot at all, telling me there is no OS. I put XP back on the computer and tried to edit the the drive letter in admin tools, yet still it won't work.

There was nothing on the computer besides a few trial programs from companies trying to get me to buy their crap, so I don't mind wiping it and starting fresh, save for the fact I don't actually have the Win 7 disk to do so.

I want to kick myself for not doing enough research which i normally do, but i had 3 hours before a gig and needed a machine, I had done dual boots on older machines (granted not with win 7) and really was too preocuppied to realize it may not work.

Any help would be appreciated, i'm sitting here with a prety much useless machine fresh out the box right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:05 AM

Sorry about your old computer. It happens...

As for the dual-boot, you can't just add XP to a Windows 7 box. The reason is this: XP doesn't know what a Windows 7 bootloader looks like. So it just creates its own bootloader (boot.ini). After that, Windows 7 won't boot (cause it can't find the proper bootloader). If XP is installed first, Windows 7 will add itself to the XP bootloader and all is hunky-dory.

This is how you do it:
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

Scroll down to METHOD TWO: When Windows 7 is Installed First

If you can't get Windows 7 to boot using that tutorial, we'll try repairing the bootloader manually. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

:huh: to Bleeping Computer, by the way. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 DJS1138

DJS1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

Success!!!!

You're a lifesaver, I can't believe it was that simple after tearing my hair out all day. Worked like a charm

I can't thank you enough, cheers!

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

You're welcome. :inlove:

Now you owe me a "beverage". :huh:

Just kidding.... :thumbup2: