Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

500gb wd hard drive bad sectors.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 freakycorpse

freakycorpse

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

Ok, so in February My mini Usb port broke on my external hard drive...
It took me till about a week ago to get a new enclosure kit. I got same kind as the one before. Usb 2.0, 3.5'', Sata 500 Gb. I hooked it up and everything and needed to cut transfer some movies on it which i did easy before, just cut and paste...now an error pops up saying "Cannot read from the source file or disk".

I can see whats on the hard drive and play the movies that are on it. I just cant transfer.

On the hard drive It has WD Diagnostics. I did Extended test to detect bad sectors... the test lasted about 2 seconds then a window popped up saying "FAIL." It said there are too many bad sectors to continue.

Then i got perfect optimizer..which only freezes when i try to do anything with the hard drive. As does Hard Disk Sentinel. Now when I plug in the hard drive it doesn't show up in my computer.

Its frustrating the crap out of me. :thumbsup: Right now I dont even care if i save anything on it. I just wanna know if i can reformat the hard drive...or anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

I'm sorry, but your hard drive has failed. There's nothing to be done.

It's a little like having your car break down. Once the third mechanic has pointed to the piston sticking out the side of the engine, it's a fair bet there's not going to be any other answer.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 keveenjones

keveenjones

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

First of all you can purchase genuine bad sector removal software and then you can try to remove bad sector in your hard disk and then you can try to connect hard disk to computer and if then your problem not solve so your hard disk has been dead.

#4 freakycorpse

freakycorpse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:28 AM

Do you have any Recommendations for bad sector removal software?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

FWIW: Bad sectors are not "removed".

Wiki on Bad Sectors

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users