Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4.4.4. beeps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Androooid

Androooid

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron Desktop 530 Intel dual core 2.33GHz (out of warranty). The other night it went to a black screen and beeped out a 4.4.4. pattern.

I have managed (only once) to get to the Dell diagnostic utility. I got the following results:
1. Error code 5800:042A - CPU1, data error at adress 125970, expected ffdad68f, but found ffdad78f.
2. Error code 1100:012A - the drive did not respond in a fixed time to an access attempt
3. L2 Cache pattern test failure
4. L2 Cache MATS test failure
5. L2 Cache (Multiprocessor) Dirty Cache Reads test failure
6. L2 Cache (Multiprocessor) Alternating CPU Writes test failure
7. L2 Cache (Multiprocessor) Random Access Thrash test failure

Since running the above test I have not managed to get any further than a black screen and same pattern of beeps. However, I guess there is something wrong with my L2 Cache!!!

Can anybody tell me what the above means and what I need to do to fix it? I hope it wont be too expensive. Any help gratefully received. Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Sounds like your processor is failing, or is over heating, have you checked the inside of the computer to make sure the fan on the processor is still functioning?

Make sure the heat sink is not clogged with lint buildup and is making full contact with the processor.

Next thing to look at is your RAM sticks, try reseating them in their slots, sometimes oxidation causes problems with RAM sticks making a good contact with their conductors.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Androooid

Androooid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

Thanks MrBruce1959. Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I only have intermittent access to a PC.

I have ordered some sort of anti-static wrist band to wear before opening up the machine. Also considering wearing a white lab coat, safety specs and cotton gloves to complete the look. Just need a machine in the corner of the room that goes ping!

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

Thanks MrBruce1959. Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I only have intermittent access to a PC.

I have ordered some sort of anti-static wrist band to wear before opening up the machine. Also considering wearing a white lab coat, safety specs and cotton gloves to complete the look. Just need a machine in the corner of the room that goes ping!

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

sorry doctor. the patient didn't make it.
oh wait you said the machine goes ping not BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.
LOL

yeah give her a good cleaning and if that doesn't work run one ram stick at a time.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:57 AM

sorry doctor. the patient didn't make it.
oh wait you said the machine goes ping not BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.
LOL

yeah give her a good cleaning and if that doesn't work run one ram stick at a time.

LOL I seen this and thought it was funny and yes it made my day. :thumbsup:

Sometime however, they get the problem fixed one way or another and don't always come back and tell us.

That is their choice of course, but me I always like to hear the out come, good or bad, or what they did to actaully fix the problem them selves.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Androooid

Androooid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Gentlemen, I am indeed typing this post from the machine. It has been resurrected!!! Unfortunately, I was a complete wus and took it to a professional computer repair man.

I had a week off work and I thought an ideal opportunity to sort this baby myself; however, I have two young children who had other ideas about how daddy should spend his time. Also the weather was good, so family time won rather than a week of getting annoyed with my broken pc. Anyway enough shameful excuses...

The computer chap, Graham, did his diagnostics, the fault being the DDR-2 Memory sticks (they appear to have overheated somehow). So these were replaced and computer is back and running. Have installed Speedfan to monitor temperature.

Despite my sense of failure at not doing myself I have two positives. 1. The forum responses gave me a good idea so that i wouldnt get ripped off. 2. Graham was a self confessed geek, and a pleasure to do business with, he really took the time to answer my silly questions about computers. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your interest and taking the time to help. All the best.

#7 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

Little bit of everything going on there. At least she is fixed.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

Gentlemen, I am indeed typing this post from the machine. It has been resurrected!!! Unfortunately, I was a complete wus and took it to a professional computer repair man.

I had a week off work and I thought an ideal opportunity to sort this baby myself; however, I have two young children who had other ideas about how daddy should spend his time. Also the weather was good, so family time won rather than a week of getting annoyed with my broken pc. Anyway enough shameful excuses...

The computer chap, Graham, did his diagnostics, the fault being the DDR-2 Memory sticks (they appear to have overheated somehow). So these were replaced and computer is back and running. Have installed Speedfan to monitor temperature.

Despite my sense of failure at not doing myself I have two positives. 1. The forum responses gave me a good idea so that i wouldnt get ripped off. 2. Graham was a self confessed geek, and a pleasure to do business with, he really took the time to answer my silly questions about computers. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your interest and taking the time to help. All the best.

Thank you so much for coming back and taking the time to let us know everything is great at your end now.

It will help others who have been following this thread, who may or might encounter the same problem.

The tech had one advantage we don't have here, he can physically test components where we can only guess.

I am hoping there is a day, that besides using remote assistant, I can do physical tests on a computer over the Internet, as strange as that sounds, we have advanced so much in 100 years anything is possible. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users