Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power supply overload

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jtsonmor

jtsonmor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi need some advice. Right know I'm running a 700 w power supply, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Processor BX80580Q9400 - 2.66GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad-Core, two nvidea 8800gt 500mb in sli 4 gig ram and about a terabyte of hard drive over 3 drives including a 60 gig solid. I was working on pinnacle studio video program makeing a movie I looked at my processor and it was working at between 80-100% most of the time my ram was running about 2.5 gig all of a sudden every thing slowed down at first dident think any thing of it after all i was doing a lot of editing. but the next day I went to play shaun white on my computer and the thing sucked it was all jurky so I put it down to absolute lowest settings and it was no better. So I was toled that my power supply was probable broken and not sending the proper power to the mobo. so then I got to thinking my prossesor was maxed ram was running pretty high but also both gpu's were being powered of mobo. (thay don't have aux power)

I if this power supply comes bake toast it would be the 3'd I have fried with theses sli cards could the gpu's be the problem ? sould I get one that has aux power? I was looking at just one card not sli. I was looking at this one at tigerdirect (BFG BFGEGTX260MC896OCDE GeForce GTX 260 Overclocked MAXCORE Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCIe 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Dual VGA Support
)
link

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...EWS#ReviewStart

thanks Jarren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

does the mobo have an aux power port for the sli cards or are they straight up juicin' off the pci slots?
are you over volting or overclocking anything?
is anything getting hot?

#3 jtsonmor

jtsonmor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

there is only a square 8 pin that Is for cpu and 24 pin for the rest.

I have lots of air movement two masive fans one front one back plus a regular side fan and a big copper heatsink-fan on cpu and a two fan 700w ocz gaming power supply.

and no overclocking or overvolting

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

what brand power supply are you using.
if you are burning up 700 watt power supplies i wouldn't point fingers at the video card as it isn't directly drawing from the power supply.
i would first point at the motherboard or cheep power supplies.
try running an enermax or ocz or antec power supply if you are not.

i used to put in cheep power supplies when i first started building systems but now that is one place i won't skimp to save money.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

odd, most 8800s require direct power from the PSU. In any case though, if you got a cheap PSU that would indeed burn through them. You can't just look at the wattage when you buy a PSU, you also need to check the amperage, particularly on the 12v rails. Your probably going to want a PSU with a MINIMUM of 30-35 amps (combined) on the 12v rails. A good brand like ANTEC, OCZ, or COOLERMASTER would be along the lines of PSUs I would recomend.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 jtsonmor

jtsonmor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

Okay Here the update I'm running an ocz gaming power supply I got it tested and they said it was really stable. I'm running a nforce 750i Sli Mainboard.

Most things seem to be good I burned CD's last night were real fast. Things are running smoothly except for games

#7 jtsonmor

jtsonmor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

hold on i think it might be fixed I had a registry cleaner screw op my computer and when I installed some games again for example dirt 2 I runs awesome. will get back to you for an update

#8 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

hmmm.........that'll do it.
i'm not a huge fan of reg cleaning.
it used to be a big thing back in win95/98/me but now with xp and vista i don't think it is a big deal.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

FWIW: For a number of good reasons, BC does not recommend the use of registry cleaners.

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Why I Don't Use Registry Cleaners, Ed Bott

Louis

#10 jtsonmor

jtsonmor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

thanks everyone sorry those rejistry cleaners sould be band it screwed up at least 5 programs.

#11 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

FWIW: For a number of good reasons, BC does not recommend the use of registry cleaners.

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Why I Don't Use Registry Cleaners, Ed Bott

Louis

thanks for the assist with the good links hamluis.
most of the time reg cleaners can do more damage than good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users