Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot up problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ScarletWings

ScarletWings

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

I've been having trouble with my old computer. There's two main problems with it.

The first is my computer doesn't seem to be detecting the monitor. The monitor works on my other computer so it's not dead. I think this may be related to my second problem though.

The second problem is my computer doesn't seem to be booting up. I can hear my Hard Drive working during the first 2-3 seconds. After that I hear no activity. The num/cap/scroll lock buttons on the keyboard also flash when I start the computer. The buttons don't light up when I press it after that though. I assume it's because I'm stuck on the POST screen if it got that far?

I tried resetting the Bios on my Motherboard with no luck. I also tried disconnected the GPU/RAM/HD and starting the computer. The Motherboard beeps three times then repeats. So I assume it's still alive.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

Those beeps are a message from your system, trying to tell you what it deems to be wrong with hardware.

You can look up the possible meanings...by referencing either your motherboard documentation (if system is self/custom-built) or your system documentation (if "name-brand" system).

Such documentation may also be found by looking at your particular BIOS, but this can be misleading (IMO) since system manufacturers may implement BIOS changes that suit them, rather than use the generic beep codes of the BIOS developer.

System manufacturer and model...or motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 ScarletWings

ScarletWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

The beeping only happened when I disconnected everything attached to the motherboard. I was just testing it. When everything is connected there are no beeps.

ASUS A8V DELUXE

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

You're either experiencing a failing power supply or there is a problem with your video card.

You need to supply us with more system information, are you using on-board video or an add-on card, does the computer have on-board video?

If you're using an add-on card, tell us a little bit about this card.

Then we will have a little bit more info to work with.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ScarletWings

ScarletWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

The video card I have is a Geforce 6600. There's no dvi/vga slot on my motherboard.

All the fans in the computer are running.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

The video card I have is a Geforce 6600. There's no dvi/vga slot on my motherboard.

All the fans in the computer are running.

According to the A8V Deluxe motherboard manual I have downloaded from Asus.com, you have an AGP slot on this motherboard.
This is a socket 939 motherboard correct?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users