Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help I sort of screwed up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Brian-KA5BKG

Brian-KA5BKG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hello to all,

Here's what I did.

I forgot to update the wife's AV on her desktop and she uses Win XP.
She was surfing Friday evening and some malware got ahold of her computer.
It said it was XP antispyware, I did a search on it and found it to be malware.
It would not let me open up her AV, which I run AVG free on everything here.

I for whatever reason did a system restore on her machine, thinking that would allow me to reverse the malware, etc and run her AV and get it all up to date.

It didn't....

When I go to boot up the computer now it all boots up fine, but if I go to click on the AVG icon for example, then a box pops up saying what program do I want to open the file up with...

I am not familar with that, and needless to say I caught a lot of static for not updating her machine.

I need some help from you guys on here, on what I need to do to reverse the changes that I made to her machine and get it to where I can fix it properly and then maybe I will be out of the doghouse....LOL

Look forward to you're replies or suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian

Edited by Pandy, 04 April 2010 - 09:50 PM.
Moved from Windows XP Home and Pro to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

Please have a look at the removal instructions for XP Security Tool 2010, XP Defender Pro, and Vista Security Tool 2010 ( it has many names ). Please post the log from Malwarebytes when complete.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users