Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SQL server won't start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wrhatt

wrhatt

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have a new Dell Latitude E6400 computer running XP Pro (it is a company issued laptop that I don't have admin rights to). The SQL server is not starting on boot up. I have a program (WinTotal) that is directly connected to the SQL server. No SQL no WinTotal. Geek Squad couldn't help without admin rights, Dell tech support wouldn't try, and WinTotal's tech support couldn't do anything with out access to the admin rights. My companies tech support failed on their 1st try and said to call back Monday when other techs are in. Any thoughts on how to start the SQL server?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:34 AM

This site seems to cover a wide area of SQL server issues and fixes -
I have no quick fix yet but the items are all covered here -

Thank you -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

FWIW: Issues on computers that belong to someone other than you...such as a worksite...probably ought to run through the personnel responsible for IT/computing at such location. The fact that you don't have admin rights/privileges...somewhat reinforces that, IMO.

Louis

#4 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

FWIW: Issues on computers that belong to someone other than you...such as a worksite...probably ought to run through the personnel responsible for IT/computing at such location. The fact that you don't have admin rights/privileges...somewhat reinforces that, IMO.

Louis

If they could have fixed it I wouldn't be on this forum trying too.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

Well...Monday hasn't come yet...and I would certainly be leery of attempting to do something to property owned by another person or corporation...that is inherently not provided by the control which they have seen fit to vest in me.

Example: What will you do if, after your efforts to repair...your organization rightfully states that you exceeded the scope of your duties/responsibilities...after the assertion is made that you broke something in the system?

I'd say that the safe, intelligent thing to do...is let the organization be responsible for troubleshooting/repairing organizational property...where they have not assigned such responsibility to you.

Just my approach during my working days...that "stay in your lane" philosophy is what I would term it and live by.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users