Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Gaming Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BenDrager

BenDrager

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

My budget for a new laptop is = $800-$1000

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? = I will only be playing games, web browsing and watching movies off my external hard drive.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Games, games and more games

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? All types. I really want to be able to play high end games like Crysis and Dragon Age

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Nope! Just going to have one game open at a time

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Only like 4-8gb for Music and pics

I also have some questions about what to do after I get a new laptop.

1) How do I remove the unnecessary programs? ( Bloatware i think its called... ugh sorry I'm really new to computers and I only play games off my 360 really =(

2) Do I need to upgrade to a better Operating system thats more suited for games?

3) Whats a good Anitivirus program that I can install on the laptop? ( Preferably a free Antivirus program would be nice.

4) Do I need to mess with the BIOS on the laptop when I get it? I really have no idea how to tweak a computer or update it.

5) What would you do after getting a brand new laptop? ( By that I mean what steps do you take to ensure its going to work at optimal performance?

So i look forward to your insightful replies and God Bless!

P.S I was surfing the net and ran across something called GOG.com (Good old Games . com ) They have old school games that you could download to play and that really interested me. I wondering if you members had any knowledge of downloaded games and if it works or not. OK thanks

Edited by BenDrager, 04 April 2010 - 03:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

I do not know what type of games you want to play. My personal view, "Buying laptops for gaming is a fools errand".

Look for an i5 as a minimum CPU. Likewise an ATI 58XX mobile has the most current horsepower. The problem is finding a system to fit in your budget. Any lappy you find now will still slug through the newer games, it's just the limitations of the systems. You can only crank so many watts, and heat, into a lappy and have it survive. Figure also how much weight and battery life you can live with as this is a tradeoff.

1) Decrapifier
2) Win 7 should be standard on a new system.
3) Microsoft Security Essentials
4) No
5) Run Decrapifier, run Msconfig and stop all background garbage that isn't essential.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users