Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Tools Removal and Repair of Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mary145

Mary145

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hi, I am new to the forum. My computer was infected with System Tool virus. I followed all the steps from bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool no problems until I got to step 22. Step 22 says I have to delete the C:\Windows\System32\etc\HOSTS file but it doesn't say how. Then I am directed to download the new file from a link. I am not very computer savy so I don't have any idea how to delete the Windows System 32 file (plus scared to try). I tried downloading the Windows Vista HOSTS but I can't get it to run. Can anybody give me more detailed directions on restoring drivers damaged by system tools? Thanks Mary

EDIT: Moved to Am I Infected from Vista. Please read/follow all admin procedures in AII and help those who will be trying to help you, thanks ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 04 April 2010 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

I would like you to go here and read and follow the instructions on how to update/replace your "HOSTS" file.

This should get you through the end of the removal instructions.

If you have any problems please let me know.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Mary145

Mary145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the help I gave up and hired the computer guy at work to fix it for me. I'm up and running great. Glad to know there is a site like this I can go to when I have a problem. My computer guy said your instructions for cleaning the System Tool program off my computer were right on the money. Thanks again!

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:20 AM

Glad you were able to get sorted out. :thumbsup:
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca