Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP -> 98SE network prob

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

hi, this is really dumb. I am setting up my new HP w/ XP and my old Gateway w/ 98SE on my network via a 5 port switch and a DSL modem/router. the problem is that the HP (new comp) does not have a floppy drive. I can see where it should be, but apparently the geniuses who design these budget systems felt i wouldn't need it since i have a cd burner and 4 memory card reader ports (none of which i have a card for).

THe big problem is that XP wants me to run its setup wizard on my 98 box, but i have no floppy drive to make one (and the book says i cannot install one, i have to buy a usb floppy). Also HP doesnt feel it necessary to give you OS disks either apparently so i can't us the XP disk to run the network wizard either. (technically this isnt my setup, its my friends, but he says it didnt have a windows disk in the box)

what i really need is either an image or something of the network setup floppy i can download with the 98 computer to setup the network options or maybe instructions on how to do it manually if possible. all i need is to have both computers in the same workgroup to share files etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:35 AM

Have you tried your CD-R to make a Network Disk? You may want to try a USB thumb drive. I have never used one for this purpose but I cannot see why it would not work.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:27 PM

yes i have thought of those. after cursing these packages HP and bestbuy etc sell i attempted to use the burner as a HUGE floppy. alas though a cd-r is not a "removable drive" so it is not listed as an option to make the disk inside the wizard. As for the thumb drive i believe that would work, can i borrow yours? That also won't work for me either since neither of us has a thumb drive disk thing. maybe i should have gotten one already but i just havent needed one yet.

on the subject of USB drive, maybe i could fake a removable drive with a prog? like when i fake virtual cd drive with daemon tools and ISOs? then once i create the virtual floppy i can copy it to CD-R.

if that is completely too far fetched, (i think it is) then can some one use the Windows XP "network setup wizard" to make a floppy and then image the floppy and email it to wmogayzel@xxxxx.xxx? i admit my idea might not be the easiest or simplest, but its all i got. And to any kind soul who can do this could you make it in something i can burn w/ nero 6? if you can't i'll still appreciate what you give me, cuz i have copies of almost every burning prog, just not loaded

please some one do this crazy plan so i dont have to open the case tommorrow to find that there is no way to install an internal legacy 3.5 floppy!

Mod Edit - Email address removed to defeat spambots- just add yahoo.com to the above - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 20 September 2005 - 06:58 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:59 AM

Do you have access to another XP machine with a floppy drive?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:10 AM

or manually,
1.both machines are getting their ip addresses from the router within the same range.
2.now to make sure your 98/xp box are on the same workgroup, for xp:right click on my computer>properties>computer name workgroup>(likely workgroup?), just make sure the 98box is the same workgroup name now, right click on network places>properties>identification. (as i remember) change if necessary, they both have to be on the same workgroup name to function properly
3.on the 98 box, right click on mynetwork places>properties>file and print sharing, make sure the tabs are selected<enable print sahring, eneble file sharing>
4.you will have to reboot on the machines when you make changes to the above btw, it will prompt you.
5.NOW, you must have something "shared"
6. on the xp machine, (now this is strange) normally you cant share anything in "documents and sharing" or i have read you cant do it, but for some reason, the win98 box will see your shared folder under "mydocuments".so use an existing, or create a new folder here, when created and named, right click>properties, select sharing, share this folder, when finnished, you should have a "hand" underneath the icon indicating it has been deemed as a shared foilder.
7. a similar thing must now be done on the win 98 box, albeit, you donr need to be in "documents and settings, you can make a folder on the root of "C" if you want and share it the same way as on the xp box.weird, but that is what i have seen.
8.sorry i am rushed this morning, so i hope i didnt miss anything, now you should have same ip range,same network name, file sharing enabled on both machines, folders deemed as shared folders, and acesses permission to view.

BTW , for now , to save trouble, disable your win xp firewall control panel>firewall.
let me know how u made out
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:49 PM

thanks that looks good, i'll try that. hopefully if it doesnt work out i can get an XP cd in a couple of days. I cant believe that HP doesnt bundle OS disks or something comparable. now i feel obligated to read the "how to use your computer" book and make some kind of backup/recovery disk. the factory set has a 5 GB partition as a recovery disk but i dont know how helpful that would be in a situation so bad i would have to use it.

thanks,
peace

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:06 AM

but i dont know how helpful that would be in a situation so bad i would have to use it.

Usually that will give you the option of a non-destructive or safe recovery that doesn't affect your programs or personal files or a destructive recovery that formats that drive and restores your computer to the state it was in when it was new. In both cases Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Performing a System Recovery in Microsoft Windows XP.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users