Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share Folder With Specific User On Xp PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RayS

RayS

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

To All,

I was unable to access a folder on a Win7 Home Premium PC from a WinXP Pro SP3 PC even though the user accounts on both PCs were in the same workgroup and had identical names. Also I had done the following:

Use Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center then...
click "Choose homegroup and sharing options" then...
click "Change advanced sharing settings" then...
scroll down to HomeGroup connections and press the following radio button:
"Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers".

I had also modified the properties of the folder to indicate sharing "with specific people", and the selected user account name was indicating read/write permissions.

The key step I had overlooked was to apply a password to the user accounts on both PCs.

I'm writing this because the requirement for passwords on both accounts hadn't been emphasized enough in any of the references I had consulted. The info may have been there, but it just didn't sink in.

Since I am a relative newcomer to Win7, I stand ready to be corrected. If you know of a way to give read/write access to a folder on a Win7 box for a specific user on a WinXP box (and ONLY that specific user) without having passwords on the user accounts in both machines, please let me know.

Thank you

RayS

I don't accept payment for my help, but it would please me if you perform a kindness for your neighbor. You might also contact your local animal shelter. They can always use a bag of kibble or a few cans of pet food. Who knows... you might even find a life-long furry friend there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

See if this provides you with any insight: Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek

If not, I'll do my best to find a solution to your problem. There's no point in me delving off into it all when there is a tutorial for it already. But if that doesn't solve your problem, I'll roll up my sleeves and see what I can do. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 RayS

RayS
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,417 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

See if this provides you with any insight: Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek

If not, I'll do my best to find a solution to your problem. There's no point in me delving off into it all when there is a tutorial for it already. But if that doesn't solve your problem, I'll roll up my sleeves and see what I can do. :huh:

Hi keyboardNinja

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the tutorial you cite is one of the sources I had consulted. I didn't see or fully appreciate the requirement for passwords on the user accounts in both PCs.

Please don't go "delving off into it". The original problem has been solved. I'm only mildly curious as to any alternate methods that would not have required the passwords. My main reason for posting is to help others see how I solved my problem in this instance.

BleepingComputer is a wonderful resource. Although I haven't posted here very often, I have benefited by perusing the Win7 and the WinXP forums. I am quite appreciative.

RayS

I don't accept payment for my help, but it would please me if you perform a kindness for your neighbor. You might also contact your local animal shelter. They can always use a bag of kibble or a few cans of pet food. Who knows... you might even find a life-long furry friend there.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:10 PM

Okay, I see what you're wanting now. You want to share files between W7 and XP, but without passwords. Correct?

And you only want a specific user to have access to those shared files? I'm not sure if this is possible. If you turn off password-protected sharing (and have no passwords), then the sharing is Public (I think).

I've always had passwords on my machines, and I encourage others to do the same. So I've never faced this situation.

I have a printer shared on my network (host laptop is Windows 7). My netbook (Windows 7 and XP dual-boot) and my roommate's laptop (XP) can print over the network. Also, I have set permissions so that I can access my laptop's files from my netbook and vice-versa (in XP and 7 on the netbook). My roommate cannot access these files from his laptop (he can print). But, we both have passwords, and all mine are the same.

Here is what my sharing settings are set to:
Posted Image

I had to turn off password protected sharing so my roommate could print. I somehow set the sharing permissions so that only I could access the files through the Homegroup. It took a lot of screwing around (like any good PC problem :huh: ), but I did finally figure it all out.

Have you tried the "Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections"? That's the setting I use, as you can see.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 subtropical

subtropical

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

I've found that if you set folders outside of a user profile and set them to share it works for everyone. If you keep it in a profile it works with only matching profiles.
On the root of the C drive I have a folder named opennet and put everything for the world at large there (assuming they have the passphrase and their MAC listed in the router. Nice living in a tourist area. When friends w/laptop visit they have access to our pics taken around town, travel guides and local links. Plus a few movies to watch as well.
:-)

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

Make sure users are allowed to access the share.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users