Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file share stopped working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skeeter395

skeeter395

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

I am hoping someone here can help me with this situation. I have a domain controller running dhcp, dns, active directory, file and print services with server 2008 sp2. I have 3 computers all running windows 7. Two of the computers are desktops and one is a net-book. the net-book is wireless and the desktops are wired. All of the file sharing was working correctly but all of a sudden it is not. I have tested with all of the computers and the net-book can access file shares and print to the network printer but the desktops can't. I have created a virtual windows 7 machine on one of the desktops and it can access the file shares. I have installed wire shark and found that the net-book transmits smb packets when connecting to the file share but the desktops are only transmitting nbns. I have disabled the firewall on both the desktop and the server to see if that was the issue but that made no difference. Is it possible to turn on smb somehow on the desktops? or is it possible that it has been turned off? any idea why the file share stopped working?

Thanks for your time, and for any help you can provide.

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate forum,Networking~~boopme

Edited by boopme, 04 April 2010 - 01:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

A couple of things to check...

1. Do all of the computers have the same time on them?
2. Can you ping the server from the affected computers?
3. How are you mapping the shares? Try using a different approach(i.e. \\server\share or\\FQDN\shareor \IP address\share)
3. Client for microsoft networks installed and enabled?
4. Install/enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP?
5. Have you changed anything user/group wise? It could be a permission related problem.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the reply.
The time is the same as the server as I have that set in group policy.
I can ping the domain controller and I can remote into it no problem.
I have tried to all of the options you have stated above and no difference.
I made sure that client for Microsoft networks is enabled and installed. I also had a virtual machine on the same card and the shares work.
I do have NETBIOS on default.
I have not changed any groups I even changed the shares to allow all authenticated users but that made no difference.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

Got to Add/remove programs and see if Windows Live Sign-in Assistant is there. If so uninstall and check for connectivity.
Mark Twain

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Also check your network settings in the network and sharing-sharing and discovery part in control panel. Double check that the home group option is turned off. Finally disable UAC as it has been shown this often interferes with sharing in win7.

Here is a site that lists the setup to make shares work. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...7f-d6211ac63d31

Run through everything and hopefully that will help.
Mark Twain

#6 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. However, the issue has gone from bad to worse. I took one of the computers and dis-joined it from the domain in an attempted to rejoin the computer and hopefully all would work. But that didn't happen at all once it was off of the domain it could not find the domain again. So I reinstalled the OS and all works perfectly. The other computer that is still having the problem I tried to just reset the link between the computer and the computer object in the domain but now the trust is broken and once I log-off or reboot I will not be able to get into that account again.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

What forum did you originally post this?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 skeeter395

skeeter395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

The windows 7 forum.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

If you added a virt machine running on a machine that can't share but the virt can, then its not a networking issue its an OS/permissions issue of some kind. Specially when you reinstalled the OS and it worked. *scratches head*

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users