Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nothing will open

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Hi ,will give the best description of the problem i can,basically a friend gave me a pc as he said it was not working,when i turned it on it was stuck in an enless cycle of blue screens ,nothing i could do to get it to boot.

So i took the hdd out and slaved it on my comp so i could get chkdsk to run which it did and the drive booted i then ran sas as it was the only programme i had that would let me choose which drive to scan,sas found 1100 files infected and deleted them,now from what i could gather it also deleted a lot of m$ files and now i have put it back into its own tower it boots great ,but anything i click on opens up the open with window,which leads me to believe that most of the registry is gone or corrupt,it wont let me run cmd prompt regedit or anything,does anyone know a work round?.

Thanks
:thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

missing or corrupt files like cmd.exe can be copied from another computer with the same OS. but to manually rebuild the system would take a lot of time and it still may have problems. a re-install is the way i would go.

#3 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

wish i had the xp disc to do the reinstall,just phoned and left a message hopefully my friend has it :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

The warning means your file associations are messed up.

Grinler has created a program which fixes basic file associations (among doing other things). You can download it from here : RKill.com. Save it to your desktop and run it.

You can also download various file association fixes from here : http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
In using DougKnox fixes, first of all use the Zip file association fix. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to open Task Manager, Choose New Task, type regedit.exe and press Enter to open the Registry Editor. In the Registry Editor, choose File > Import and select the Zip file association fix you downloaded zip_folder_fix.reg.
Similarly, next use the REG file fix. Then the EXE file fix and so on.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

Here's another Knox fix for regedit.
Disable/Enable Registry Editing tools in Windows
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thanks guys but no matter what i put on this pc,it wont open,just goes to open with screen.

unless friend has xp disc its goin in the bin.
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:30 AM

Try running a rescue disc Avira AntiVir Rescue System
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Brand and model of the computer? or mainboard model if a built system?
I would consider such a system only usable if you reload completely.

A fix that kills so many windows files usually means a rootkit or a polymorphic trojan was fully infested. I would not dare do any banking or amazon on such a system until it was nuked and reloaded.

If it is a brand name like Dell or HP, replacement xp disks are cheap.

#9 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the replys guys :thumbsup: .

Have reformatted drive,it was infected with virut and numerous backdoors,so basically a dead rig.

Thanks again for all your suggestions :flowers: .
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

You did not tell us firsthand, that it was infected with Virut. It is useless to repair when its Virut. Only thing you can do is format and re-install XP in case of Virut. Well, you followed the right path and had an happy result :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users