Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is there a such a thing as to much memory?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:27 PM

i was wondering if you can overmax your computer by puttin to much ram into your computer? causing it to overload or ne thing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:04 PM

yes it is possible.... by maxing out the max memory your mobo is able to control. i do not what the effects are of actually doing that for i have not done it myself.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:50 AM

You can also max out by putting to much, too high speed memory, so that the motherboard can't provide power enough. Kingston memory search tells you also how much memory the motherboard can handle. It's usually something like 2 GB 400 MHz or 4 GB 333 MHz.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:16 AM

Your operating system will limit the memory you can use. For instance, Windows ME can't use more than 512MB of ram and more will actually slow your computer. I think the max for XP is 4GB, but don't quote me on that, just too lazy to look it up. :thumbsup:

Your motherboard will also have a maximum amount of memory that you can install if you look at the specifications.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:36 PM

thnx guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users