Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic Cursor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PoppyJ

PoppyJ

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

Got an older model DV 4150 HP Laptop with 2 gb of ram and runnning Windows 7 Ultimate. I seem to be having a "wild" cursor problem. I can be typing along and pause and lots of times the cursor will have moved to somewhere else in the sentence or page that I am typing on. Just like now, before this sentence, the cursor moved to about four different places in the first three sentences when I would pause. This is irritating at best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PoppyJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

Are you sure your hand is not touching the touchpad while you are typing? This happens a lot to me if I'm not careful to keep my hands off the touchpad as best I can while typing. If your palm brushes across it, the touchpad mistakes that as input and starts to move the cursor to wherever it thinks you are pointing it to. Your touchpad may have a "Palm Check" setting to help minimize this from happening.

Does this solve your problem, PoppyJ?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 PoppyJ

PoppyJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

Did not help but thanks for the input.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Does this happen only when you are typing (erratic cursor movements)? Try disabling the touchpad and using a USB mouse to see if you can reproduce the problem.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 PoppyJ

PoppyJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

OK, we will give that a try. Thanks