Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Character Encoding

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

Is there anything I can do to make web pages easier to read? I'm on Vista Home Premium.

Attached Files

• Attached File  TT.JPG   71.16KB   16 downloads

Edited by Roderunner, 04 April 2010 - 09:45 AM.

George's PC Specs. / Laptop.  Desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

What do you mean by easier to read? Do you have eyesight problems? Is your computer's display fuzzy? You will have to provide more information before we can attempt to assist you. :huh:

You can zoom in on webpages or change your computer's display resolution, but until I know exactly what your problem is, I cannot give relevant advice.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

The pages on BC forum are easily read but not the thumbnail example I posted. Try writing with a yellow ink on white paper then using black ink and tell me which is easier to read. :huh:

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

Maybe try turning off ClearType?

Like the comment here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/04/23/d...-windows-vista/

"some people may not like the blurry font style in ClearType"

(Note: IE also has an option to use ClearType in the Multimedia section of Advanced Internet Options.)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

The pages on BC forum are easily read but not the thumbnail example I posted. Try writing with a yellow ink on white paper then using black ink and tell me which is easier to read. :huh:

Okay...it may just be that thumbnail that is fuzzy. Is there anything else that you find difficult to read? I'm trying to determine if this is a problem with your display settings, your browser, your fonts, or something else. I don't know where you got that thumbnail from, so I can't explain why it is fuzzy. Whoever created it is to blame. If it came from a webpage, then you can blame the designer of the webpage for having poorly contrasting text and background.

I get your point with the ink analogy...obviously black ink is easier to read.

Like I said, I'm trying to figure out exactly what all you are having a hard time seeing...this is not easy to infer when you are not giving me much information. If you could provide me with a list of all the things you are having a hard time reading/seeing, I would be better able to help you. :huh:

#6 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:12 AM

Maybe try turning off ClearType?

Like the comment here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/04/23/d...-windows-vista/

"some people may not like the blurry font style in ClearType"

(Note: IE also has an option to use ClearType in the Multimedia section of Advanced Internet Options.)

I turned clear type OFF and it made no difference to page thumbnail in question. But it made other pages harder to read.

Okay...it may just be that thumbnail that is fuzzy. Is there anything else that you find difficult to read? I'm trying to determine if this is a problem with your display settings, your browser, your fonts, or something else. I don't know where you got that thumbnail from, so I can't explain why it is fuzzy. Whoever created it is to blame. If it came from a webpage, then you can blame the designer of the webpage for having poorly contrasting text and background.

I get your point with the ink analogy...obviously black ink is easier to read.

Like I said, I'm trying to figure out exactly what all you are having a hard time seeing...this is not easy to infer when you are not giving me much information. If you could provide me with a list of all the things you are having a hard time reading/seeing, I would be better able to help you. :huh:

The pages in thumbnail are from TalkTalk. I have complained but never got a reply.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:16 AM

Okay then....like I said, you can blame the webmaster there for that (poor contrast). There isn't much we can do about it either. Sorry.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:16 AM

I turned clear type OFF and it made no difference to page thumbnail in question. But it made other pages harder to read.

It won't make any difference to the thumbnail because it's an image, ClearType only alters type that is generated from a font onto the screen. I compared those screens on the TalkTalk website with ClearType on and off, and I actually find the softer slightly fuzzy appearance with ClearType on is slightly harder to read. That's a personal preference, and can be influenced by the screen characteristics, individual eyesight etc.

I don't think there's anything that can be done to help when there's poor choice of page design, like weak text colors on backgrounds that give low contrast. Hard-to-read text is one of the things cautioned against in tutorials about good website design.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

SO! for once in my life, I'm not to blame. Will continue to pester TTalk till its fixed, big Thanks for your input.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

Haha...yeah, it's nice to be able to blame somebody else for a change. :huh:

And you're welcome. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 05 April 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#11 Roderunner

Roderunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Haha...yeah, it's nice to be able to blame somebody else for a change. :huh: