Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

But if it were 1000 pigs?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 duckne55

duckne55

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:25 AM

'twas asked an interesting question today, perhaps you've heard it before.

Given the choice between saving your loved one from certain death, and saving one thousand strangers from certain death, which would you choose?

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

Definitely the loved one. This is going to sound very selfish and possibly just bad lol, but what have those 1000 strangers done for you?

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

This is the question posed at the end of a video game, the needs of many (revive all the people killed by the bad guy), the needs of few (revive your family who were killed by the bad guy, why won't they be revived with the rest of the people he killed), the needs of one (get a pile of gold). Sadly the game isn't really playable without the companion, and getting "good points" is difficult (at least for me I tend to thirst for villager blood) so the bulk gift is needed to receive certain things without working for hours at the game. The last is really usless in the game since money is really no big deal if you know how to work the system (unless your a real goody-2-shoes who needs the evil points)

Posted Image

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

You posed the question, whats to debate here? What was your choice and why?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 duckne55

duckne55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:38 AM

Well I was hoping for everyone's opinions first (for no apparent reason)

anyway here goes:

If I were the loved one whose life may be sacrificed, I would gladly sacrifice my life for a 1000.
Hence, I would sacrifice my loved one.

Now if those were 1000 pigs, THEN it would be a different matter...

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

BlackSpyder, what video game is that from? I'm just curious, I play a lot of games :D

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

@ duckne55

If you knew that those Pigs were closely relaled to Humans would you change your mind?

Ray.

Edited by groovicus, 08 April 2010 - 11:22 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#8 duckne55

duckne55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

lol! Nice one.
Like i said it would be a different matter (and much harder choice to me)
Unless i get to kill the pigs one by one or get to feed the dead pigs to all the hungry people in the world (selfish benifit!). (no offense to muslims, i was thinking of a random animal and ended up using a pig for both topics)

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

I think that is one question, that honestly, I could not answer until the last minute.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

Actually, noone could ever answer that untill the last moment, Mate.

It is a Classic Question from down the ages.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

Kill them all and let God sort it out.........

#12 Emu1212

Emu1212

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

The game he is talking about is Fable 2.

And I would probably pick the loved one, but it depends on what loved one and who the 1000 people are.

Edited by Emu1212, 14 April 2010 - 07:57 PM.

#13 NeverGivUpChris

NeverGivUpChris

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

I would pick the 1000 people then quickly turn off my life before it saved reload the last save and pick the loved one........ I wouldn't take the money option as I would already own everything and having cryogenicly frozen myself for 25 years (adjust date and time setting) I would have accumulated a ton of money. I got this life thing sorted :thumbsup:
If you have never player played fable II on the xbox you probably wouldn't understand what I just said

Seriously I would pick the loved one :flowers:

Edited by NeverGivUpChris, 07 June 2010 - 08:01 AM.

A Royale With Cheese

#14 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

I would choose the 1000 strangers because They can do a lot more than some family can do. Plus, that's putting back together a TON more families than just bringing one back together.
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

#15 liamari

liamari

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

I'd call in the super heroes, they always seem to save everyone's sorry butt.

My crass insensitive answer is....

In general, I help people who are trying to help themselves first... then, if I have the time, energy and patience, I help people who don't think they need it.

It's the story of the flood victim on his roof... a boat goes by offering him a spot, he says he's waiting for god to help him. Then a helicopter hovers over, offering him a lift, he said nope, waiting for god to save him.

At the pearly gates, he is ticked off at god, why did you forsake me?

god said, I didn't forsake you, I sent a boat and a helicopter, you refused the help.

Or something like that.

If the many were working with me on the problem, I would help them... if my mom were sitting on her butt expecting me to carry her the whole way, we would both die.

I would most likely cry a lot after-the-fact... but in the heat of the moment, instinct takes over, truthfully, and if you are in the way, or not paying attention... or worse, dragging everyone else down... you are on your own.

If I have to raise myself to warrior statis to survive, so should you.

Fortunately... I haven't had to prove my resolve, and hopefully never will...

But the whole world is strange these days... and there's no telling where we will end up, and whom we will have to count on... I wouldn't expect anyone to carry my weight if the manure hit the proverbial fan and I hadn't been paying attention to the warning signs... I would like to think "the many" would feel the same way.

And as for the MANY who choose not to pay attention, the ones who don't want to talk about the fire... (If you don't talk about it, it's not real... the 'elephant in the room' syndrome) The ones who refuse to look at the evidence because it doesn't set well into their routine or comfort zone... they best stay outta the way or they are going to get mowed over by the few of us who are on the ball and motivated to survive.

There is a book, called "The book of questions" by Greggory Stock Ph.D... it has all kinds of questions like this... some worse... some better. (I.E. 'if you could save the lives of all people with cancer by shooting an innocent person in the head, would you? Follow up question, "would you kill an innocent if you did not have to do it face to face, but with a button from another room... or another country?)

I hear that the Inuit used to send grandma and grandpa adrift on an ice floe when 'their time came', if they were no longer able to contribute to society... Dogs and cats go for what I call, 'the long walk' when they are ready. I'd like to think, if I were not ready or able to care for myself, I would tell Superman to help the young, the strong and the ones who are smart enough to survive. And if I lose my marbles, and am unable to think this all through, I hope Superman would turn around and get busy helping someone else. (I found my marbles by the way, and glued them to a window in my house so I can't lose them again.)

Survival of the fittest... I suppose. Natural selection... It's nothing like "Survivor" out in the real world where someone who is ignorant, intentionally or not, is going to live longer than the informed, and prepared.

As I have stated, my opinion and $5 will get you a really good coffee in a cafe with atmosphere in town.
~A candle loses none of it's light by lighting another candle.~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users