Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security for wireless router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 abanerji

abanerji

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:22 AM

I have been using D-Link's router model # DI-524UP in wired mode for my laptop. Now, I want to use a second laptop to connect to the router in wireless mode.

The second laptop's current OS/security setup is as below :-

a) Win-XP SP2 (completely patched, vetted by Secunia)
b ) AVG AV/AS free 9.0
c) ZA firewall free 7.0.483
d) Sundry utilities/protection software : Ccleaner, Spywareblaster
e) Safe browsing habit

Yes, I shall be upgrading the OS to XP-SP3 within the next three months.

Since I do not understand the wireless security aspects, I had requested a friend, more knowledgeable than me, to do the wireless setup. He tried to setup the router for WPA, but could not due to unknown reasons, so settled with "open system - WEP enabled".

Please advise how to make the second laptop work in WPA mode.

Thanks,

Edited by abanerji, 04 April 2010 - 02:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

First you should use WPA2-PSK if available as it is the most secure protocol. You will need to enable the setting in your routers wireless settings, preferably from the wired computer, and establish a PSK(Pre-shared key) in the provided space on the router. Save out of the router. Go to the wireless settings on the router and set for WPA2-PSK and enter the same PSK you entered on the router. You should now be able to connect.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

I don't believe a XP - SP2 machine can do WPA(without a specific update), I could be wrong. But I seem to remember that WPA/WPA2 was an update in SP3. So you might have to update to SP3 before WPA can be used.

Again I could be wrong and perhaps if one of the OS people read this they could correct me if I am wrong.

If your only choice is WEP, my advice would be don't leave the PC turned on and to change the WEP pass phrase often.

TIME FOR MORE INFO THAN YOU NEED TO KNOW!

WEP send its authorization with every packet. All someone has to do is collect enough packet (150,000 or so more is better) run that info through a program and up pops your password.

WPA/WPA2 authorizes your connection only when you first connect with a 4 way handshake. From that point on you are encrypted. So someone has to collect those 4 packets and then run a program with a list of words to find your pass phrase and if your pass phrase is not in the list then it doesn't get cracked. So with WPA/WPA2 because you can use numbers, letters (caps and lower case and it matters), symbols and spaces, I always recommend a 4 - 5 word sentence for your pass phrase.

SO ENDTH THE "MORE INFO THAN YOU NEEDED" SECTION

hehe

Edited by CaveDweller2, 05 April 2010 - 02:20 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

First you should use WPA2-PSK if available as it is the most secure protocol. You will need to enable the setting in your routers wireless settings, preferably from the wired computer, and establish a PSK(Pre-shared key) in the provided space on the router. Save out of the router. Go to the wireless settings on the router and set for WPA2-PSK and enter the same PSK you entered on the router. You should now be able to connect.

Thank you. I shall try.

#5 abanerji

abanerji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

I don't believe a XP - SP2 machine can do WPA(without a specific update), I could be wrong. But I seem to remember that WPA/WPA2 was an update in SP3. So you might have to update to SP3 before WPA can be used.

Again I could be wrong and perhaps if one of the OS people read this they could correct me if I am wrong.

If your only choice is WEP, my advice would be don't leave the PC turned on and to change the WEP pass phrase often.

TIME FOR MORE INFO THAN YOU NEED TO KNOW!

WEP send its authorization with every packet. All someone has to do is collect enough packet (150,000 or so more is better) run that info through a program and up pops your password.

WPA/WPA2 authorizes your connection only when you first connect with a 4 way handshake. From that point on you are encrypted. So someone has to collect those 4 packets and then run a program with a list of words to find your pass phrase and if your pass phrase is not in the list then it doesn't get cracked. So with WPA/WPA2 because you can use numbers, letters (caps and lower case and it matters), symbols and spaces, I always recommend a 4 - 5 word sentence for your pass phrase.

SO ENDTH THE "MORE INFO THAN YOU NEEDED" SECTION

hehe

Thank you for the "more info" ... very well explained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users