Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with removal of virus/malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DesiredDisplayName

DesiredDisplayName

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

So, first of all I must admit that I am dumb. I downloaded the program in the first place proving my "dumbery." Then I decided to uninstall it via the windows vista uninstall wizard (of doom!) and allegedly removed the program. On next boot the program was back and trying to update. That brings me to my second stage of dumb where I recognized it as probable malware and decided to ignore it rather than take steps to remove it before it got bad. Just a couple of days ago I got a virus (for lack of a smarter term) that said it was an anti-virus program that I of course had not put on the computer. The "virus?" then said that anything that was opened was infected and had to be removed. (it closes the program) it closed everything i opened (firefox, task manager, command, etc) immediately. So, I went into safe mode and did a system restore which got rid of the problems, but I still have the virtua girl somewhere on my computer and would like to remove it. That is what I am looking for help with and if you are reading this I appreciate you hearing my story and your patience. (well if you are patient...) To be clear windows does not detect virtua girl as an installed program anymore and the "virus?" is no longer active and I can run fine out of safe mode as long as I end a couple of virtua girl related processes on startup.

P.S. I am not entirely sure that the virus is from virtua girl although i think it is almost definite. One of my less computer literate friends were checking their facebook when the virus showed up. They swore to me they didn't click or download anything, and I don't feel like I should have any reason not to believe them...

Thank You! Hopefully I have asked this in the right board, if not I apologize for the inconvenience.

Edited by Pandy, 04 April 2010 - 02:33 AM.
Moved from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DesiredDisplayName

DesiredDisplayName
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

oops sorry. no advice on deleting this though?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users