Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brodie53

brodie53

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

I've been having problems starting up my computer for weeks - stopping at various black screens with writing saying such and such file is missing. Now it won't boot to the desktop at all. It stops at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" then below that it says "Boot from CD:" and that's it. I changed the boot sequence to hard drive first but then it just stops at verifying DMI pool data and then nothing.

I tried using the UBCD, I could load that up fine but when getting into the NTFS4DOS, chkdsk wouldn't run. It was just a blinking cursor after I typed 'yes' for the personal use agreement. I also tried this - http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm because sometimes it came up with "Invalid boot.ini" when trying to boot. So I made the floppy of the above, inserted it at start up and used the first option. It finally progressed to the Windows Logo screen but then I got a BSOD. The error code was 0x00000024.

The computer is an Acer Veriton 3600GT running Windows XP Home. It didn't come with a Windows installation disk and the comp I'm using now only came with an NEC Windows XP installation CD which says it can only be used with NEC computers otherwise it won't function properly. So is there anything else I can try so it will boot up?

I read somewhere about the i386 folder and being able to reinstall windows with that. I have the folder on my NEC computer - is it possible for me to burn the i386 and use it to reinstall/repair windows on the Acer computer? Or is that only suitable for other NEC computers?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

<>

Some info on that error code can be found at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, see 24 in the left column.

IME, this error may be the result of either a messed up file system (NTFS) or the result of hard drive problems. If it's a minor problem, running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console may provide relief...if it's a more devastating error, the ultimate resolution may require a clean install of the hard disk, after running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic has resulted in a diagnosis indicating that there are no hard drive problems.

The XP Recovery Console can be downloaded and burned to bootable CD, following the instructions at How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Info On Verifying DMI Pool Errors

Louis

#3 brodie53

brodie53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

Thank you so much. I didn't know you could download the Recovery Console. I ran the chkdsk and also followed instructions on the microsoft side for a bootcfg thing to fix the boot.ini and success! It booted up straight away.

Thanks again for your help, very appreciated! :D

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

Glad you were able to solve it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users