Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysterious browser redirect problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GB Colburn

GB Colburn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:58 PM

Lately I've experienced a problem with wunderground.com being redirected to washingtonpost.com. The problem is intermittent. It will go away for a time and then return unexpectedly. I have not been able to isolate the cause or get it to behave in a predictable manner. Some of the things I've tried:

Different Browsers: Safari, Firefox, and Flock. Doesn't seem to make a difference.
Logging in as a different user: Didn't help.
Clearing the DNS cache using the terminal: Seemed to work at first, but doesn't really.
Replacing the default Comcast DNS with OpenDNS in my Belkin router: No effect
Disabling various parts of Norton Security Suite: same as above.
Clearing cached pages, history, and cookies doesn't seem to help much either.

The network utility returns the address 38.102.136.104 for wunderground.com, which is correct, and will return the correct web site if entered in the address bar of the browser. Putting in the name wunderground.com returns the web site for the washington post (which is 12.129.147.165).

The problem nearly always occurs when I try to access wunderground.com, though it happened only once with another web site I frequently access.

The computer is a Mac G4 with OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard), installed over Panther a few months ago. Recently (within the last month), I installed the Norton Security Suite (a freebee from Comcast), which has made it a prime suspect. I'm not quite ready to uninstall Norton and do a clean install of the system, but I'm considering that if I can't fix the problem with a less drastic measure.

I'm an experienced user and have done a lot of searching of the net to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue, and there's nothing out there quite like this.

Edit: After I just posted this, the problem went away on its own, without any intervention, but I'm pretty sure it will be back.

Edited by GB Colburn, 03 April 2010 - 11:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:16 AM

I have no experience with Norton but from what I've read about it, it does more harm than good on a Mac. I'd uninstall it to see if it is the culprit.
Read Klaus1's post from here for some info that might be related to your problem.

#3 GB Colburn

GB Colburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

I have no experience with Norton but from what I've read about it, it does more harm than good on a Mac. I'd uninstall it to see if it is the culprit.
Read Klaus1's post from here for some info that might be related to your problem.

Done. I've uninstalled Norton, and so far it's ok. Since the problem is intermittent, I'll give it a week or so to see if it reappears. If it stays away that long, I can reasonably assume that Norton was the source of the problem. As for the other advice in the thread, I can wait on that. One issue at a time.

#4 GB Colburn

GB Colburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Well, that didn't take long. The problem has reappeared without Norton present.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

are you connected to a wireless router using an airport card or are you using a wired network?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 GB Colburn

GB Colburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

are you connected to a wireless router using an airport card or are you using a wired network?

I am wired to a Belkin WRT160N, firmware version 3.0.02. I do use it for wireless, but not with this computer. I have two TiVos and a Acer Netbook that use the wireless network.

#7 GB Colburn

GB Colburn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

The problem still appears sporadically at unpredictable times and disappears just as unpredictably.

The router doesn't appear to be the problem. I connected to the correct site with my netbook at the same time the Mac was redirected to the wrong one, while using the same router and OpenDNS.

For now, I'm experimenting with a workaround. I've added an entry to my hosts file that links to the correct ip address.

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:17 PM

DNSChanger Removal Tool - 2.0?

Your network settings might be corrupted. Run a Google search for "Reset network settings Mac" and you should get instructions on how to reset your Mac's network settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users