Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Repair Bait and Switch?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jtr327

jtr327

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

Hi, if someone could tell me if these hardware statements are true/possible or not that would help me out a very great deal and money
Just want to cross check what the repairman said
Thank you very very much in advance any help is welcomed thank you:)

-Intel processors only work with Intel motherboards
-when Intel mobo fries, it also fries Intel processor
-when an Intel processor is put on a non Intel mobo it fries??
-Dell computer casing can fry out motherboard because the screw is touching the case and motherboard
-hard to find mobo that support DDr2 mem - so upgraded me DDR3??
-are vidcard usually seperate or part of the mobo

Those are the reasons why my repairman had to buy a (quotes exactly from invoice)
new mobo 60.00
new processor 115.99
DDR2 80.00 - he said he put in DDR3???
ATX case 35.00
Card reader 19.99
service 60.00
TOTAL $370.98

So when I got to repair shop it was a totally different computer ....... I WAS like WTH happened to my Dell
basically only thing original was my HD

Background info-

I took my 1 year old Dell desktop in for repair possible MOBO failure. (never shut it down ever) I could hear it starting up but it would not put out image nothing on screen

Repairguy thought it might be just vidcard

A couple days later he told me it was mobo failure due to maybe powersurge quoted me around = $200

EVERYTHING fine until he called me 3 weeks later and said ur computer is done

he basically built me a new computer which I did not expect or ask. I found out when I got there he said
new mobo fried old intel processors -------> had to buy new processor and mobo
Dell casing is frying out mobo----------> new casing
new card reader ---------> he gave me no reason
new memory DDR3 ---------> could not find mobo to support my DDR2 memory sticks

At some point I knew this guy was trying to scam me, but I didnt really know for sure which parts were true or false
so I thought should I just act like i dont know anything , or should I act mad right then and there, I chose the first
I kept acting nice, and the guy was still trying to act nice to me and "acting like he's helping me out"
I left saying I did not have the money and that I would pay tomm
I also said I wanted to take my old computer and its parts and that I am going to call Dell, but he said to pick it up when he finished putting it back together??
I did not think to write down my original parts serial numbers though so now I am scared he might switch my old computer parts out
Is there any other way to make sure my parts are my original parts
**He also kept emphasizing that Intel is crap for 1 hour and put in AMD<---but when he show me the invoice he said the reason its so much was because Intel parts are expensive?? wtf? changing stories SoI guess he put in AMD parts but charged me for INtel parts

Also he said he recovered my data which saved me like 600 or 800 dollars??? (but I already took out my HD and back up my files and deleted personal things)

If anyone can help me out with some information or any advice that would really help me out Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

Intel is NOT crap and is actually preferred by many people in terms of their current offerings however that is minor. Right now about the only advantage I would toss into the AMD's court is their prices are less.

The comment about stating that DDR2 Boards are "Hard to find" is utter BS, you can find DDR2 boards that are socketed for Core i7 Intel processors quite easily.

However lets go back to the beginning. It is very possible that the Power Supply shorted and surged which fried the mobo and processor, it's unfortunately not unheard of and more common than some people like to think. The statement about the case doing it is most likely false, becausethat would mean the case is defective which would be a warranty or technical design issue with Dell and most definitely not a cause to buy a new case. The card reader COULD have been a casualty of the mobo incident depending on how big the surge was but I am guessing its unlikely, based partly on the fact that this guy already lied about the case and DDR2. Lastly he said data recovery is expensive, well yeah it actually is because people are willing to pay for it although in truth for the tech it's more time sitting and drinking coffee than actually working.

I am going to guess if you left the HDD in the machine that would have magically broke also, probably a good thing you didn't take him the monitor so he could charge you for "Calibration to a new video card."

I would tell this guy to shove it, give him back the PC he built you and ask for your old parts back. Then go somewhere that isn't staffed by criminals.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#3 jtr327

jtr327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

Thank you bigalexe!

About the case it is from Dell I bought this computer DEC 2008 new from Dell and why the hell would Dell make computers with cases that would short out the mobo????
Yes he said that my DDR2 sticks I think 4gb total he could not find a mobo that would support that so he put 1 DDR3 stick in? Whihc he said is 4 times faster than my 2 DDR2 sticks

Also when you put a intel processor on a non Intel made mobo does it fry both the processor and mobo? Thats his reasoning for new processor
I am going to call DEll about all this and he said he would write a written statement about everything (bbut throughout allthis I have been acting nice and like I know nothing about computers) so I am stil on his "good side" But I dont know how to confront him and get my old computer and parts back and the original parts.

He basically I think only put in my old HD and possibly CDrom drive in the "new comp" and my old computer and parts were disassembled in the back.
Any help suggestions?

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

If it's true that the mobo was fried, it might be that a replacement mobo from Dell could be expensive and/or hard to get. Dell (and most other big-name mfrs) tend to use proprietary parts that can't be easily replced by generic parts. It might actually have cost less to get a new, non-Dell case, power supply and motherboard than to get a motherboard from Dell.

Edited by strolln, 03 April 2010 - 11:31 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

-Intel processors only work with Intel motherboards
That is a true statement

not necessarily. depends why. If it was from a power surge, if the surge was enough its possible it fried the CPU as well. though in my experience, more often then not, the motherboard will fry LONG before the CPU, unless your overclocking. While this is possible, its not probable.

-when an Intel processor is put on a non Intel mobo it fries??
AMD and intel sockets are not interchangeable, have not been since socket 7. the new Intel CPUs are pinless, while AMD uses pins, if you tried to put a intel CPU in a AMD socket it would just slide around. You cant really put it in.

-Dell computer casing can fry out motherboard because the screw is touching the case and motherboard
IF there is a screw contacting the back of the board and the motherboard tray it could cause a short, however, motherboards have mounting points where screws can touch, as well as on the tray that won't cause a short. Dell nor any manufacturer would NEVER design a case that would short out the motherboard, though defects have been known to happen, its unlikely that if there was one it would have fried both the motherboard AND the CPU. its possible, but not likely.

-hard to find mobo that support DDr2 mem - so upgraded me DDR3??
Not true, their a dime a dozen. True, ddr3 is becoming the new standard, but you can still find DDR2. This guy is either to inept or to dishonest to find one. This is most likely why he wants you to have a new CPU-can't/won't find a DDR2 mobo, so he has to use DDR3. DDR3, requires a CPU with a DDR3 memory controller, and your old one probably does not, so he had to fabricate some reason why you need a new CPU.

-are vidcard usually seperate or part of the mobo
Depends on the motherboard. Some have them integrated, some don't, some have the option for either integrated or seperate. Of my two computers, one motherboard has a integrated card that Im not using becuase I have a dedicated one hooked up, and the motherboard in the other computer doesnt have a built in card, so I had to purchase a seperate one.

Those are the reasons why my repairman had to buy a (quotes exactly from invoice)
new mobo 60.00
new processor 115.99
DDR2 80.00 - he said he put in DDR3???
ATX case 35.00
Card reader 19.99
service 60.00
TOTAL $370.98

These prices, for the work there, are actually fair, though I think theres a good chance you don't need the work at all.

**He also kept emphasizing that Intel is crap for 1 hour and put in AMD<---but when he show me the invoice he said the reason its so much was because Intel parts are expensive?? wtf? changing stories SoI guess he put in AMD parts but charged me for INtel parts

as far as that, hes really biased or doesn't know what hes talking about. Me personally, I prefer AMD myself, however, Intel does make a very good CPU that is slightly better then AMD in some areas to be perfectly honest, they are both good brands and both with their positives and negatives.

Also he said he recovered my data which saved me like 600 or 800 dollars??? (but I already took out my HD and back up my files and deleted personal things)
I don't see how recovering your date saves you that much money. Serious. Any time I do a virus repair or anything of the matter, I back up data as part of the job. Now, Im incredibly cheap (incredibly) But I still don't see that, hes scamming you right there, trying to make you feel like hes the good guy. Sides, if you had the hard drive, how did he get the stuff out?

So personal opinion, Id contact Dell and see if your warranty is still good. If not, take it to another shop for a second opinion. Of course, you could go with it, for work performed thats a fair price, in fact in some areas its pretty cheap, but theres a good chance a lot of that work didn't need done.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

If it's true that the mobo was fried, it might be that a replacement mobo from Dell could be expensive and/or hard to get. Dell (and most other big-name mfrs) tend to use proprietary parts that can't be easily replced by generic parts. It might actually have cost less to get a new, non-Dell case, power supply and motherboard than to get a motherboard from Dell.

Just saw this
There may be some truth to that, however, most newer DELL computers use standard Micro ATX motherboards, they only get fancy with the PSUs anymore. I don't know his exact model number here, but chances are a micro ATX will fit. Also, he didn't mention having to replace the PSU, which if the motherboard AND cpu were to fry, would be the most likely culprit to do so.

So bottom line here is-its possible this guy is telling the truth, its not likely, and if you know another computer shop I think Id get a second opinion, but Id be weary. Its feasible hes telling the truth, and the pricing is fair, in fact for a computer shop Id say downright cheap, hes getting close to my prices, but it sounds to me like I might have some reservations about the guy myself. I think if it were me, Id ask for my parts back, maybe even pay the guy, but play with the old parts yourself, self diagnose, (can be a great learning challenge, so you don't get jerked around in the future) and test the stuff, and if it turns out hes telling the truth, bring your business back to him in the future. if it turns out hes jerkin your chain, don't go back, or keep your receipt and bring his computer back. Might be a good idea though to look at the parts hes putting in for you-if hes putting in a 60 dollar ECS motherboard, then I would definetly tell him to get lost-thats to much for a board thats likely to fry in the next 6 months anyway. if its a decent Gigabyte or ASUS board, then consider it.

And if throws a fit, ask him why he didn't call you before ordering all those new parts for it. Thats what I do for my customers-once I find the problem, I contact the customer and tell them what it is BEFORE I fix it, or have to order parts for it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 jtr327

jtr327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hi thank you strolln!

Oh I see, and I agree that was a main reason why I did not send the computer back to Dell becasue Dell Customer Service has really gone DOWNHILL, much like Sony.

But I just find it wrong to not consult with the customer as to how to procede with the repair
If he had informed me that the repairs would be replacing everything basically I would just buy a new computer according to my personal pref
but instead HE decided and built a whole new computer according to his preference without my consent and expects me to pay for it?
So I am trying to find out if his reasons for replacing everything is true or not

Thank you again strolln

#8 jtr327

jtr327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

Hi thank you patriot 09!

I dont have the exact model number because it is at the shop but it is a Dell studio? bought Dec 2008

The repair guy said that my Old Intel processor fried when he was doing the repair because he put the Intel procesor on a NON Intel made mobo? (is that possible)

anyway so he charged me for new proccessor and mobo both AMD ---> he fried my Intel proccessor doing the repair he said that

He also said that my Dell casing fries out the mobo as well? is that true?

ALso is there anyway I can find out if he is giving me my old original parts back, and not swtiching them out
would Dell have the serial numbers of the parts on record?

#9 jtr327

jtr327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:44 AM

To: patriot09

And if throws a fit, ask him why he didn't call you before ordering all those new parts for it. Thats what I do for my customers-once I find the problem, I contact the customer and tell them what it is BEFORE I fix it, or have to order parts for it.

YES EXACTLY! That is why when I ssaw the new computer I am lik WTF I did not ask for all that

And WHY would he go through all that labor in the first place:
1) He is a nice person
or
2) He is trying to scam me

Like if he had just told me honestly what was wrong and exaclty how much he really worked on it I am very willing to pay for it. But I feel he is just telling me lies
so I dont know how to pay him.

At this point the repairguy does not kno I am about to raise hell on him
But how do I get him to give me all my orginal parts and is there a way to find out if those were my original parts?

#10 jtr327

jtr327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:58 AM

To: patriot09 THANK YOU!!!

So personal opinion, Id contact Dell and see if your warranty is still good. If not, take it to another shop for a second opinion. Of course, you could go with it, for work performed thats a fair price, in fact in some areas its pretty cheap, but theres a good chance a lot of that work didn't need done.

Actually it is out of date.......yea i knno 1 year warranty I am not buying a Dell again

But AmEX will hopefully refund the price for me my friend said they do that

my problem is now trying to get my old comp and parts back formt he guy most importantly my original parts

I think the other stuff he is charging is not right I never asked for all that just replace the mobo. If he had told me that the processor was fried and that I would need a new one I would have made him stop right there. I think thats where he f'ed it all up right there. Thats where he is trying to hook me with all the extra stuff.
So I dont even kno how t to pay for this guy

Adivce?

Oh and about the HD before I took it in for repairs I took out my old HD and trasferred the files etc, and I put back my HD in the comp and then gave it to him
so is it possible he needed to do work on the HD.....because I thought they would not need to do anything witht he HD thats why i though it was safe to put the HD back with the comp

Edited by jtr327, 04 April 2010 - 01:04 AM.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:04 AM

Hi thank you patriot 09!

The repair guy said that my Old Intel processor fried when he was doing the repair because he put the Intel processor on a NON Intel made mobo? (is that possible)
anyway so he charged me for new proccessor and mobo both AMD ---> he fried my Intel proccessor doing the repair he said that
He also said that my Dell casing fries out the mobo as well? is that true?

What is in bold above is really sad, a repair guy fries a processor doing a repair, yet charges the customer for the damage done.

If you can not see you're being taken by scam artist here, you better think again. This guy is a BUM!!!

Cheap labor or not, the tech should not be charging for a part he himself fried!

I suggest if you are in the USA you threaten him with the Better Business Bureau and get your origional parts back and run like hell!!!!.

Edit: corrected spelling on the word Bureau

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 April 2010 - 11:04 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

I didn't realize that HE fried the CPU, didn't see that till now. First off, hes got to be a complete moron to get a intel CPU in a AMD motherboard-complete. They dont even fit. period. They havent since socket 5/7. Intel is pinless, AMD is not, there is no physical way that intel CPU would even sit on it, he would have had to sit the CPU over the socket then crammed the heatsink onto it, practically intentionally ruining it. but thats not the bottom line, if HE did the damage then HE needs to pay for it. no ifs, ands or buts, and if HE won't pay for it, then HE can keep his fancy little computer he built for you. I would refuse to pay, and like what mr bruce said, contact the bereau of better business. if I had realized that HE fried the part, I woulda told you that originally myself.

picard5.jpg

#13 jtr327

jtr327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

To MrBruce: yea he basically charged me for a NEW processor I hope to god he really didint fry my old one and he was just saying that to make me pay for a new processor as well
To patriot09 Thank you for answering the Intel/AMD question I was really wondering about that one:
not necessarily. depends why. If it was from a power surge, if the surge was enough its possible it fried the CPU as well. though in my experience, more often then not, the motherboard will fry LONG before the CPU, unless your overclocking. While this is possible, its not probable.
---> I dont overclock my system (dont even kno how) so the onnly possibility of my processor being fried is from possible power surge (like he said) or he f'ed it up when i brought it to him
Would you know how would he have fried it doing the repair?

He said that when he put my old processor (Intel)on the new mobo it fried both of them, that was his reason for charging me new processor as well
Also the reason why he said it took so long to fix the computer becasue of the ordering of parts
All of these explanations he just kind of said real fast and he was always trying to make side talk(like how he did not charge me for the shipping of the parts, the fried mobo, and only 1hr labor and how he did not charge for the new power supply in the new comp), but I do remember clearly he said the Intel proccesor fried when put it on the new mobo and NOT before I brought him the machine (and he better not change up his story), I will ask him all again I will find out all these for sure tomm, I am bringing a tape recorder as well. I hope thats legal?

BUT now thinking about it either my Original processor is fine and he did not fry it and he just wanted a reason to charge me for a new procesor as well

OR

he really did fry my Intel processor when repairing

If its the second one then DAMN he f'ed my processor TOO and I am not paying him cent if thats the case
And after all this I stil dont kno EXACTLY what was broken in the comp, all he mentioned was the mobo
He NEVER mentioned the card reader, I just hope he doesnt Intentionally break all my parts when he gives me back the comp

I hope I can get back my computer with the original parts, would anyone knnow how to make sure they were the original ones in my comp?
I did not think I should have written down the serial numbers<------------I was dead freakin wrong about that

Thank you again for all the advice, and I will contact BBB but in that part of town I dont think they care or know what that is but I hope they can do somthing about it

I am going to print all the main info and ask him to explain this crap if he starts BSin again

Ill let you know what happens thank you again for clearing alll that up It really did save me 370plus!

Edited by jtr327, 04 April 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#14 jtr327

jtr327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hi I just found out my exact model: if it helps
dell studio MT 540
pent C2D e7300 2.66GHZ
4gb DDR2 sdram

1 D3063 Processor,E7300,2.66,3MB Wolfdale,65W,M0
1 M2998 INSTR,DEVIATE L6 TO L5+,540
1 G2147 KIT,DOC,BDR,ENG,540,DAO,BCC

PS How can I tell if the processor is fried will it look diff?

Edited by jtr327, 04 April 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

well, if the parts in it match the specs of the one you gave him, and experience the same problems, then chances are its the same one. Oh, and the only way for a CPU to fry during installation is incompetence. don't let him charge you for that.

Edited by the_patriot09, 04 April 2010 - 09:55 PM.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users