Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista32bit to win7 64bit installation problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aki66

aki66

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

I'm trying to upgrade my buddy's toshiba satellite laptop from vista32bit to win7 64bit. Windows won't let me to do the installation so I went to bios and change to boot CD-rom first. I booted the cd installation and tried to do the install process. It showed me a screen with the list of partitions on it including the recovery drive. I figured since I'm installing a new OS on there I won't need the recovery. I formatted all drives and put them back into one and here's where I said "oh f..." It says something along the lines of not able to find a HD to install it on. I rebooted the laptop thru CD again. Once the Window 7 installation screen popped up I chose Repair your computer. I tried to follow this guide tutorial 161 but in figure 4. the box is empty. I tried loading a driver that i burnt on cd but it won't recognize it. I tried running the MS-Dos to run the exe file for the driver but the run .exe doesn't even work, nothing happens. I went back and tried installing again but get stuck on Expanding files 0%. I skipped a lot of little things but if anyone need the details I'll try to fill you in... my friend's pissed...pls help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eddyfarr14

eddyfarr14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

ok i own a toshiba satellite l305d-s5940
you can not upgrade a 32 bit operating system to a 64 bit operating system
what you have to do is the following

make a backup of all of the data(music, pictures, etc)
then do a bios update for the unit
then wipe the hard drive out clean and install 7 with the disk that toshiba may have sent you or your own copy.
if its a disk that toshiba sent you just ignore any messages you get when doing a clean install.
then download all the drivers and do windows update. for WIN7 thers only like 30-40 updates for seven.(i just did it on a netbook)

then your all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users