Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hcarson

hcarson

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

I have no clue what my son downloaded, but it appears his computer is infected with the Win/32/Refpron.PS. We have CA antivirus software on the machine and spyware. Ran them both, some files were able to be quarintined but there are 5 that still remain. It will not allow us to go online to download any type of remover and all of these windows keep popping up telling us the only way to clean the machine is if we download and purchase their software.

I just ran a virus scan again this morning and it shows 5 infected files which are named
1166803.exe Win32/Refpron.PS
1619226.exe Win32/Refpron.PS
230724.exe Win32/Refpron.PS
4486048.exe Win32/Refpron.PS

Can someone please give me instructions on how to remove this. It has been in the machine for about 4 days we are running XP Thank you

Helene

Edited by Budapest, 03 April 2010 - 06:27 PM.
Moved from XP ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hcarson

hcarson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

can anyone help or do i need to provide more information? i can't find anything online for removal except to download programs for removal, but i can't get to any of those sites from that machine

#3 Mark Strelecki

Mark Strelecki

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

Can you download stuff from another (working, clean) system and transfer it to the infected PC via USB flashdrive?

Do a Google search for VIPRE Rescue, and also for MalwareBytes AntiMalware - both are great at working miracles.

I disinfected a system recently by using SYSTEM RESTORE, a feature built into XP. Just turned the clock back to a time BEFORE the infection happened. Worked like a champ, and that was AFTER I'd spent two hours scanning from a special boot disk (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows).

If you can specifically describe the popups you see, with a NAME or something, we might be able to provide more specific directions.

Google is your friend. Download what you need and transfer to the infected system on CD/DVD (preferred) or USB flashdrive.

Please keep us posted, and best of luck!

MARK STRELECKI
Atlanta, GA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users