Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Not Detected By BIOS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mannshands

mannshands

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hi,
How do I begin to fix this?
I fired up my old no-name tower, XP started but the USB keyboard didnt work. Also, My USB memstick is not listed in My PC, and usb kbd not listed in Hardware mgr at all. Using on- screen kbd. In control Panel/keyboard nothing listed. Used adapter to plug into old school round socket. Nope. Add hardware, no good. I cant get into BIOS to check that. Keyboard is new and works in other pcs. Found USB driver and installed. Nope. Scanned to get MoBo info, Used AMI flash Bios utility. It did something, my onscreen kbd gained colored boarders, but also had msg that it couldnt install. But still no kbd. On advice of other forum I was told to unplug AC, pull batt, hold power button 15 sec, replace batt, powerup to reset default BIOS. WRONG! At reboot Now I get AMI BIOS screen, with:CMOS/GPNV checksum bad. Ior F2 toload defaults. can't press F1to setup.
Any suggestions
INFO:
Pent 4 1.8GHz, XPsp3, OEM Elitegroup Computers, AMI BIOS ver 7.0, chipset=VIA VT8751 Apollo P4M266-8, MoBo=Shuttle MV 43(n)
Perhaps this site's got better advice?
Cheers
mannshands

Edited by mannshands, 03 April 2010 - 02:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

I would simply remove the CMOS battery and...replace it with a new one.

Replacement batteries are available just about anywhere selling any kind of batteries (electronics, watch, etc.).

After replacing the old with the new...go into the BIOS and set the correct date/time and save the correct settings. Reboot and see what happens.

Louis

#3 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

In Spain,on Easter Sunday, it could be tough to find. Will try the Chineese bazzar shop.Thanks.

#4 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

Replaced old batt after leaving it out 10hrs. Screen is still stuck at AMI BIOS page, with several "F button" options. But now the error msg is: CMOS settings wrong. USB Kbd with PS/2 adapter still not working in PS/2 socket
There is no clock on the screen.
Can't get new batt for 2 hrs. Will post again after the new batt is tried.
Cheers
Edit/Delete Message

#5 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Tried new batt. No change. Will look for an old ps/2 kbd. If that doesn't work I don't know what to do next. At bios load a screen flashes very fast, on list of recognized devices it showed an IDE and an Adaptec(?)found, but the other devices were not.
Any suggestions? :thumbsup:
THX
mannshands

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hi, after changing out a battery you have cleared out some settings that were set before the battery was changed.

You have to go through the BIOS menu and change those settings back to support those different features.

You mentioned there is no system clock in your BIOS, it is usually on the MAIN menu of your BIOS.

The Advanced menu usually has setting for devices like keyboards and the mouse.

Try hitting the F5 key, this works with most BIOSes to set the system to its default settings.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

Bruce,
I can't get into the Bios, or I would do as you suggest. Thats the whole point of this topic. Once in Bios I will be back on familiar ground.
But thanks anyway.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

If you can't enter the BIOS...after replacing the CMOS battery...you have bigger problems than was first suspected.

Louis

#9 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

Got ps/2 kbd. It worked! I got into BIOS setup.
I set time and boot order. I dont see how to enable USB, it is old, could be USB1. There are 2 USB sockets that used to work. All primary/slave drive devices set to auto. But my USB mem stick not seen by WIX XP.
DVD is listed in Bios and XP.
Well, its progress...
THX all
Any ideas on USB issue? I want to reinstall a newer XP, any chance that will fix the usb?

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:36 AM

The USB function should be listed in the BIOS setup utility. Under the Advanced menu scroll down the list till you see USB and enable it.

Make sure your USB device and the Motherboard support the USB standard, there is both USB 1.0 and 2.0 and now the newer USB 3.0. Some devices are not backwards compatable and won't work porperly.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 April 2010 - 10:37 AM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi,
USB used to work, don't remember if it was USB 1 or 2. I have been all thru BIOS setup, and several AMI manuals. I have AMI v 7.0. The closest manual I found was 7.1, but the screenshots were slightly different than what I have. Followed their instructions for set up but USB/Legacy not listed. in ADVANCED CMOS settings as they said it was. I also tried the "optimized setting" option. Still no usb. Tried memstick and mp3 players, hoping plug'n'play might find them after bios reset. Nope.
Trying another angle, I went into Hardware MGR and looked at USB Controllers, all drivers were loaded, I switched Power Mgt Setting to disable letting XP turn devices off. This didn't help. Then I looked at USB controller listed as VIA USB and VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller settings. When I click on these I BLACK SCREEN and pc beeps non-stop till I hit reset button. Boots into chkdsk, boots XP and a system recovery popup. In Event Viewer it shows error 1003(102).
The usbs are built onto the mobo, how can bios miss them? Why does my usb controllers, provided by chipset mfg VIA, cause total crash?
Still in the dark...
mannshands

Edited by mannshands, 05 April 2010 - 12:29 PM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

First off your motherboard is a Shuttle brand name, i've researched problems with another member who owned a shuttle brand computer.

This link is for your shuttle support web site. You might find a solution there or research their forum boards to see if any one else has had the same problem.

http://us.shuttle.com/Scgsupport/Sys_Support2.htm

If this link below works correctly it should link you directly to the drivers download page for the Shuttle MV43N. This page also includes BIOS upgrades and a copy of your owners manual. I suggest you check this link out first.

http://global.shuttle.com/download03.jsp?PI=588&OS=0

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 April 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#13 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

OK,here is the trick! At bios setup I hit F7=best performance presets(different from "optimum"). This gives you extra menu items on each settings page, different than the default menus. So I found USB and USB Legacy and enabled them both. But it didn't work! A pair of mobo mounted usb's both go bad? How likely is that? Is it time to install new usb's?
Whata u think? Will check ur leads, Bruce, Thanks

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

Did you try going into Device Manager...and uninstalling your USB controllers (only the controllers)?

If you have USB 2.0, you will see one controller marked as "enhanced".

After uninstalling them, just reboot and they will reinstall automatically.

FWIW: General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Louis

#15 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

Yes,did the uninstall procedure, and all the MS hotfixes, and the VIA USB enhanced controller driver.
The Shuttle website evidently does not support my model anymore, it shows the models page but all the driver/manual links they give are dead-ends. Nice try though.

Edited by mannshands, 05 April 2010 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users