Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Starting Out in OCR

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shamrock838

shamrock838

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Just Starting Out in OCR:

Im looking for a reliable Optical Character Recognition (OCR) program in the under-$200 range. My aim is to convert English-language printed text from various scanned sources into clear, accurate, editable MS Word and Adobe PDF files. Nothing fancy.

I have two computer setups at home:
1 Primary - Dell Vostro 420 Desktop (Vista Business 32 bit) that works with an HP C-4480 All-In-One color printer/scanner/copier.
2 Backup - Dell Latitude D820 Laptop operating (XP Professional) that works with an Epson Perfection 4490 flatbed scanner.

Can anyone offer suggestions tips -- dos and donts -- links leads to published material for OCR newbies? Lastly, will the aforementioned scanners work with any OCR software?

P.S. how does the I.R.I.S. Readiris 13 Pro OCR program stack up in this regard?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

I was on a budget when I found this diddy.
http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/
It will work under windows too but I had a document that was printed at 6 point font and very tight and grainy.
This little ocr did a number on it.
Best of all it is free.
Should be able to do batch images with scripting.
Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users