Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD Card in laptop.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 honda2010

honda2010

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

I have a deer cam that I just take the SD card out of and put in my internal card reader in my laptop. It used to come up on the screen when you inserted it you know make the sound and ask you what you want to do. Transfer images or whatever. Now it just makes the should and don't promp me with anything I have to go to my computer and click on it to pull it up and transfer them that way. How can I get it back the way it was to pop up and give me options when I insert the card. It still makes the sound but no pop up. Thanks!

Edited by honda2010, 03 April 2010 - 09:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

I plugged our digital camera up to my laptop and it came up as normal. Windows pic and fax viewer poped up and I click on transfer to my pictures and bam. Thats how my sd card slot did work on my laptop but not any more for some reason. I'm running windows xp professional.

Edited by honda2010, 03 April 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#3 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

I use ccleaner and do the registry to on it. Could this have erased something that it shouldn't to make my pop up not come up when I insert the SD card?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Go to Start Menu > Default Programs > Change Autoplay settings > under Pictures, change it to the default setting you wish to have (open, ask, etc..) > Save

By the way, I'd love to see those trail cam photos when you get a chance (Photos sub-forum). :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

I dont see autoplay settings in my default programs. There is non microsoft and microsoft and custom. But all just show my web browser, email, java, messageing, and media player.

#6 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

I went to my computer and drive F: which is the sd card and seen this autoplay there and it is set to ask when inserted on what to do with the files but still no go.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Oops...sorry...didn't notice you're running XP. My bad. :huh:

Try this instead:

Open My Computer > Right-click your SD card > Properties > Autoplay tab

That should get you where you need to go. :thumbsup:

#8 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

I done this 2 or 3 times and set it to prompt me what to do and hit apply then ok and its already set to this when I go there to but I reset it anyway. I put in my card I here the sound and my curser flashes once then nothing. I dont know what it is.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

Err...just saw your last post...try this:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > look for Shell Hardware Detection...make sure it is set to Automatic. Restart it to be sure it is running.

Posted Image

Take out, then reinsert your SD card to see if it works now. :thumbsup:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 03 April 2010 - 01:27 PM.

#10 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Ok I just done that restarted it and its on automatic but still no go. Insert here sound cursor flash once and thats it nothing elese happens.

#11 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

This is crazy. Its always worked before with all sd cards. I dont know why it stopped working all of a sudden. ERRRR

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

I can understand your frustration. Give me a little time to come up with some other possible solutions.

In the mean time, at least you can access the SD card and retrieve the pictures. It just won't Autoplay for you. So it's not a completely debilitating problem. Just irritating.

#13 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:42 AM

Yea I can retrieve them no problem just dont pop up anymore when inserted. This is with all 3 of my cards not just the one. Thanks for your time.

#14 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

Anyone else have any suggestions on this topic? Thanks!

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

Okay, I may have had an epiphany on this.

Insert your SD card and open it in My Computer. Tools > Folder Options > View tab > dot Show hidden files, folders, and drives and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) > OK > Apply

Now, look for a folder or file named autorun.inf. If you see one in the root of the drive, delete it. (if you don't see it, then there isn't one there, and my theory holds no water)

"Safely Remove" your SD card and reinsert it. Do you get the Autorun window now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users