Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error when reinstalling windows

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

I am reinstalling windows on my mothers laptop and I keep getting this error message:
This is what Iwrote down so far
Data Error
( Cyclic redundancy check)
Installation failed D:\ I386\asms
error message :incorrect function

At the present time I am going with the advice i was given in my last thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic279980-30.html

computer just restarted and it has started installing windows
BTW, I am using windows xp upgrade cd that I purchased from a retail store

Ok, just got the error again:

Error:
SXS.DLL Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\1000\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4.
Error:
Installation failed: D:\I386\asms.Error Message :Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

and that is all I can see because I have no way of scrolling down.Along the way somewhere my pointer disappeared on me.

Edited by melindascrochetbits, 03 April 2010 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

update on problem

I am no longer getting the above error. my new error message is:

Warning:
Setup was unable to invoke external program C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe/c
start C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe because of the following error:
CreateProcess returned error 14001(36b1).

the only thing I did different was to go into bios and disable everything but my cr rom drive. Could that be causing the error?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

FWIW: I suggest your reverse whatever changes you made in the BIOS.

Cyclic redundancy errors generally indicate a problem with reading data on a given drive or media. If the drive in question is an optical drive...the first thing I would do is clean the media, then possibly the lens of the optical drive. I would do these things after checking the connections to and from the drive.

Cyclic Redundancy Info

If the error occurred on a hard drive...I would probably run a diagnostic on it, after checking all connections to and from the drive.

Longshot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315350

Louis

#4 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

correction, the above is in addition to the first error message and let me asure you. I paid 100.00 plus tax for my xp upgrade sp2 cd from a computer shop here in town. I have a legal registered copy so what is the problem? Does this mean I need to go buy another xp upgrade sp2 cd?I will try to clean it again.Thanks in advance

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

no he is saying your hard drive might have a problem i believe and to check it, wait until he replies and he will probably suggest a test tool i think.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click on Disk Drives and post the information revealed.

<<I have a legal registered copy so what is the problem?>>

Who said anything about "legal registered copy" of XP? The problem is your file system or hard drive, as you would see if you bother to read the info provided at the link I supplied.

Louis

#7 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

sorry I seemed to have missed your replies. I just wanted to state that I had a legal copy and not a torrent copy. as of right now I can not get past the start up is being restarted screen. Thanks for the help.
torrent copy - I have been searching the web for help and that word seems to have come up alot

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

You can always take a visual look at the hard drive to determine the manufacturer.

Right now...what happens when you boot the system?

Bear in mind that none of us can see your system screens.

Louis

#9 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

when I boot the system up, all is fine until after the windows xp screen. then it is a blue screen that says setup is being restarted .Once setup starts up it goes to the screen where it starts installing windows. Also i can hear a funny noise that is hard to describe coming from my cd rom when it is spinning so I will see if I can find out how to clean it. I wasn't trying to be rude or make you mad in the above post,I honestly missed your first post.Thanks for helping me out.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Can you boot into safe mode and remove the last program that you installed?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

Don't worry about making me angry, you probably won't notice it (if it happens).

I just become another onlooker when that happens, I stop trying to go where advice/suggestions seem unwanted :thumbsup:.

All is well as long as I'm typing :flowers:.

That noise coming from your optical drive...that may mean that it's having difficulty, either reading the disk inserted or operational difficulty. Which coincides with error re D: you reported.

When I clean a CD/DVD...I just run a little water on the side which is normally down...and dry it with a soft, cotton cloth (t-shirt, in my case) and dry it by wiping straight across the surface, back and forth. I never wipe in circles or ovals, that's not the recommended way that I read long ago.

After cleaning the disc...insert the disc into the optical drive.

See what occurs with the install effort.

Louis

#12 melindascrochetbits

melindascrochetbits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

I cleaned the cd with a little water and a soft cloth, wiped it dry, let it air dry to be on the safe side and stuck it back in the cd rom drive and it is working !!!! :flowers: :thumbsup:

thank you so much, I can't believe I could not solve this by myself. You rock! And to think ,I wanted to go to school for this.Maybe this is my sign not to.lol

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

Nice going, glad you solved it...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users