Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Sound Device' problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Corinne

Corinne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:17 PM

I have had my computer for a couple weeks, but just installed a new operating system --- Windows XP Pro replacing the normal XP version. Before the switch, my speakers worked perfectly, but since all my prior information was wiped, my Windows Media Player can't detect a 'sound device'.

I have triple checked all the wires involved in hooking the speakers up, but I don't know if there's anything I have to re-install etc. My speakers are "harman/kardon", if that makes any difference at all lol.

I'd really appreciate if someone could explain to me what the problem is, and the steps involved in getting my sound back. Thanks so much!

>Corinne :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:38 PM

Hi, Corinne, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Chances are XP Pro wasn't able to find the drivers for your sound card or device. In order to check the drivers, hold down the Windows key (the one between alt and ctrl) and tap the Pause/Break key. That should bring up your System Properties. Click on the Hardware tab, then on the Device Manager button.

Look for any yellow question marks or exclamation points that may be present, and check to see that your sound device is functional under Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Let us know what you find. If you need a driver, tell us what type of device it is, and if it all looks good, we can try to troubleshoot something else.

#3 Corinne

Corinne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:46 PM

Hi Herk, thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I went into Device Manager and looked in the 'Sound, Video and Game Controllers' section. I wasn't sure which item would count as my 'sound device' so I checked through all of them - they were all enabled and functioning except for one. It's called Realtek AC'97 Audio, and it says it is enabled but not working properly. When I try to press 'Settings' it tells me that it cannot load this audio driver, that the file may be missing, and to reinstall the driver or contact the system administrator.

I don't even know what this is, because I have never had a sound card or anything in this computer. I tried to download a 'Realtek AC'97' from the Internet but that just turned out to be a music player program.

Do you think this is what's causing the problem or should I check somewhere else?
It's driving me crazy --- thanks again for your help.

>Corinne :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

That is most probably your problem.

Was the XP Pro an upgrade or a full install? It should have had the Realtek drivers because Realtek is very popular.

In any case, here are Realtec's instructions for upgrading/reinstalling the drivers:

<<< For Win2000/WinME/WinXP (WDM driver)/Win98 Gold(First Edition)/Win98SE >>>
---------------------------------------
Setup Driver/Application at first time:
---------------------------------------
Step 1. Before installing the Realtek AC'97 Drivers & Applications, Press the
[Cancel] button if Windows detect the PCI Multimedia Audio device.
Step 2. Insert the "Realtek AC'97 Drivers & Applications" CD into the CD-ROM
drive and run the setup.exe program to finish the installation.
Step 3. Click on [Next/OK/Go] to continue the procedure. If the Windows popup
"Digital Signature Not Found" message, press [Yes] to continue the
installation.
Step 4. Finally, select to restart the system and press [Finish] to complete
the installation.
The system will reload the drivers and do some adjustments in the INF
file if so required.
Setup for Manual
----------------
1. Double-click the "System" icon to open the "System Properties" dialog from Control Panel .
2. Choose "Hardware" tab and click the "Device Manager" button .
3. Please right-click mouse on "MultiMedia Audio Controller" and choose the "Properties" menu item
to show the driver details.
4. Click the "Driver" tab and then click the "Update Driver..." button for update.
5. Please follow the instructions of the "Upgrade Device Driver Wizard".
6. Choose "Search for a suitable driver for my device" and click the "Next" button.
7. Please specify the driver location/source and then click the "Next" button in this case,
"Specify a location" has been chosen.
8. If "Specify driver location" is chosen, the Wizard will ask for the path where the driver is located.
9. Click the "Next" button to install Audio Driver on "Driver Files Search Results".
10. If the "Digital Signature Not Found" dialog is opened, click the "Yes" button to continue
the Installation.
11. After completing the above steps, the drier has been installed into the system.
Please click "Finish" button to complete the installation.

Update Driver/Application:
--------------------------
Step 1. Follow Step 2,3,4 described in [Setup at first time] above to complete
the procedure.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ac97readme.pdf

(read the entire readme as there is a significant amount more of info there)

If you are current on Windows updates Windows should have the correct driver. If not, download one from Realtek
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97...8&Software=True
and store it in a location you will be able to find.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 September 2005 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users