Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.4

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

It is astonishing that I could not find on the Forum index any section dealing with Email systems. So I have had to place my post here.

Mozilla Thunderbird 3
I have been using TB version 3.0.3 for quite a while with no problems.
An automatic update downloaded, changing it to version 3.0.4.

Now, although it seems to work OK for SEND and RECEIVE, when first opened or using GET MAIL I get a panel saying that the TIMEOUT has expired, see this reference :-

Posted Image

It is to do with TIMEOUT of POP3 server. Looking at the net, I find many other users have had or have still got this problem. I have changed the default value of 100 using TOOLS>OPTIONS>GENERAL>CONFIG EDITOR to 600, but it makes no difference.

It was suggested I go to my PROFILE folder using the RUN and %APPDATA%\thunderbird\profiles, which I did and got this panel :-

Posted Image

This looks like a Microsoft error exists which I cannot do anything about. It may be causing the trouble, but it never did before the TB 3.0.4 update.

Can anybody please explain the TIMEOUT config that is required to cure this problem and of course how to do it, plus comment on what the error panel means and where I go next ?

It is of course essential to recognise that nothing on my system has changed, the TB version 3.0.3 worked perfectly, when updated to version 3.0.4 it does not. Seems elementary that the problem rests with Mozilla`s update. We have all had faulty updates from most software providers, I have, including Microsoft.
HELP !

Many thanks
John Bull

PS - This subject has been posted on several Forum`s and received extensive and detailed discussion, but I did not find any solutions.
Incredibly, I posted it on the Mozilla Forum and only had one reply which again did not provide a solution.

Edited by Pandy, 03 April 2010 - 03:11 PM.
Moved from All Other Applications to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:30 AM

Lots of views, but no replies.

This problem is listed many times on the net, it is a common complaint from lots of users. On looking at all the conversations I can, I have tried them all and NOT a single positive solution is given that works for me and neither does it I presume for anybody else.

I do wish somebody would pin this problem down to a specific cause. It is preposterous that there appears to be an absolute lack of experts out there who can resolve this matter by logical and definitive analysis rather than poke around blindly all over the place in the hope that something works. After all, a mere software update and an elementary Timeout problem should not cause a brain seizure in either those who produced the software or in any one of the vast legion of cyber-boffins currently engaged in the sheer artistry of everyday PC gymnastics with the hyped-up enthusiasm of mind blown fanatics.

ONE THING IS CERTAIN, until Mozilla updated Thunderbird from version 3.0.3 to 3.0.4, everything worked perfectly and NOTHING has changed on MY computer to cause a blip. Simple eh ? Sounds like a Mozilla problem, but they are not interested :- update and be damned.

John Bull

Edited by John Bull, 04 April 2010 - 06:07 AM.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:25 AM

Sorry I can't help. I have the same problem and haven't been able to repair it. I will get back if I can figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users