Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows and IE problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chansen

chansen

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

I think XP Defender Pro rogue anti-virus deleted or screwed up my Windows OS and IE program. Nothing on my desktop works anymore. I can run Mozilla Firefox(somehow), but everything that has to do with any other programs does not work. I have tried to run AVG, but it does come up to run. Plus everything will 'freeze up' on the computer, except for the mouse. But I can not click on anything.

Warning Box appears when I double-click on desktop program(this happens on everything):

"File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

When I put my XP disc in I can access the internet through Mozilla, but not IE. The same 'warning' above appears.

Any help PLEASE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:25 AM

The warning means your file associations are messed up.

Grinler has created a program which fixes basic file associations (among doing other things). You can download it from here : rkill.com. Save it to your desktop and run it.

You can also download various file association fixes from here : http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
In using DougKnox fixes, first of all use the Zip file association fix. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to open Task Manager, Choose New Task, type regedit.exe and press Enter to open the Registry Editor. In the Registry Editor, choose File > Import and select the Zip file association fix you downloaded zip_folder_fix.reg.
Similarly, next use the REG file fix. Then the EXE file fix and so on.

But the Grinler RKill method is easier.

#3 chansen

chansen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thank You Romeo29 it looks like everything is working great. The number of process' in the Task Manager is back up to 47 or so. I am going to run full scans of Malwarebytes and AVG to make sure all the XP Defender Pro is gone. If there anything else I need to do other than those please let me know.

Again Thanks a lot...Bleeping Computer is AWESOME!

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

I am glad that your computer is running well :thumbsup:
I am sure that the HJT members of BleepingComputer have already advised you about scanning etc. I can only say one or two things :
If you are not using the paid version of the AVG antivirus, then I would advise you to uninstall it and use Avast! 5.0 free antivirus instead or Avira 10.0 free.
You have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which is very good. But you should also scan your computer with SuperAntispyware.

Edited by Romeo29, 04 April 2010 - 06:39 AM.

#5 chansen

chansen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:28 PM

I removed AVG Free and installed Avast A/V Free to use as my anti-virus software. I am going to use both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware cause they both do good things respectively. Thanks for the advice.

I have run all A/V and malware programs and I still get the unwanted redirect or surprise window openings. What else should I do to get rid of this annoyance.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:47 PM

It looks as though the malware is not entirely gone. Please create a Posted Image in the Am I infected? What do I do? sub-forum with a description of the problems you are having and the steps taken so far.

Please be patient as it could take a few days before you get your first reply. Do not "bump" your topic by replying to it, as that will only further delay a response (MRT members are looking for topics with 0 replies...if you reply to your own first, it will appear that you are already receiving help and thus delay receiving actual help).

Good luck. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users