Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I ghost a 650gb hd to a 1TB extenal hd?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cherps

Cherps

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:37 AM

If someone could help me figure out how to ghost/clone or whatever, my whole entire 650gb hard drive to a 1TB external...I'd be eternally grateful.

In the past I've lost all I had and I don't want to ever go there again.
Any suggestions on how to do this task would be greatly appreciated....especially if I can do it for free!

Thanks,
Cherps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cherps

Cherps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:39 AM

BTW...I have Vista Home 64bit.

#3 DOSCAT

DOSCAT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hi, Give this a try.

http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

DOSCAT

#4 Cherps

Cherps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

Ok..I've downloaded that program. Haven't done anything with it so far, but want to know IF you've tried it? I've read some reports that others have lost hard drives trying to do what I need to do....and that's something I'm very leary of.

Is there a program that you can recommend that works GREAT...even IF I have to buy it?

Not to sound paranoid...which I am...but I really want something good and reliable that makes a full copy of my C drive....which will be fully functional copy.

Thanks,
Cherps

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:11 AM

Wells Cherps, I can't recommend anything off hand, but I would be REALLY suspicious of even clicking a link, much less downloading something from someone on a website that only has ONE post and that ONE post was a download......... Especially if the person recommending it had a zero profile.

Since you have read bad things about that program, if it were me, given the circumstances, I'd delete it and run a malware scan after I deleted it. But then I AM paranoid.

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:25 AM

I ran that program(ghost 2003 wont work with new build).

Seems ok to me : http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflect-F...4-10845728.html

But.... i haven't had the chance to restore (Haven't needed to yet :huh:).
I expect to have no problems.

#7 DOSCAT

DOSCAT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

Cherps, I use macrium/reflect on three laptop's it works fine for me and has saved me from time to time.
The program also has good tutorials and tips.

http://www.macrium.com/tutorial.asp

Now DeathStalker, A profile don't have anything to do with it, any one could put
anything in the profile. I don't see anywhere on this site where I have to have one Iím just
a member just like you, no more no less.

The site I offered Cherps speak for it's self.

DOSCAT

Edited by DOSCAT, 04 April 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Okay, guys...remember to keep it civil here.

Yes, Macrium Reflect is a good backup program that has been around for years.

DeathStalker, I can understand your suspicion and hesitation of taking advice from a brand new member. This is a legitimate concern. With no reputation to back them up, a new member giving advice (and linking to other sites) is sometimes foreseen as dangerous.

However, the program DOSCAT linked to is a well-respected, legitimate backup program that many people swear by. I don't use it personally, but I know it is an excellent backup program used by many people.

Yes, you should be careful of who you take your advice from, especially over the internet. But in this case, legitimate advice was given.

To DOSCAT, sorry for the rocky start here at BC. We welcome new members and encourage people to help out wherever they can. Please take a few moments to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the forum works. Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials. There is a lot of very useful information there.

And :huh: to Bleeping Computer!!
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 Cherps

Cherps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

THANK YOU to all who've chipped in for advice. I understand needing to be careful....but WHO in a forum such as this would want to mess up someone else's pc?

I knew the download was good...no worries. Now I just have to get the guts mustered up to tackle the job.

Wish me luck!

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:25 AM

Good luck, Cherps!! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Cherps, I use macrium/reflect on three laptop's it works fine for me and has saved me from time to time.
The program also has good tutorials and tips.

http://www.macrium.com/tutorial.asp

Now DeathStalker, A profile don't have anything to do with it, any one could put
anything in the profile. I don't see anywhere on this site where I have to have one Iím just
a member just like you, no more no less.

The site I offered Cherps speak for it's self.

DOSCAT

Yes, no profile and a flyby link have EVERYTHING to do with it. Whether it is true in your case of not, it is a common method of those wanting to spead malware and those spamming websites for free advertising of a product they or their company own. My saying so it just passing on good prudent internet awareness practices. For this reason, many websites do not allow users to post links for a set minimum amount of posts.

Anyone with a modicum of computer security knowledge will tell you, don't click links from people you don't know. Whether it be from e-mail, social networking sites, message boards, or whatever. If that somehow "offends' you I reckon there isn't much I can do about that, it is still prudent advise and in no way meant to "single" you out. Nutting up about it doesn't change a thing. You look both ways before you cross a street don't you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users