Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading HD in Presario 2100

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kip

Kip

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

I have a 30 GB HD that failed on a Presario 2100. I am looking to upgrade my HD both in size and specs. My BIOS is Phoenix Technologies Ltd. KAM1.59. Does anyone know if there are any issues with that BIOS and a larger HD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

More info regarding the operating system you want to install and CPU and Ram would be helpful. The exact model number is important also. Based on what I see concerning the 2100 Series at HP/Compaq's websisite you won't want to go much larger than a 40GB. Also be sure to get the 80 Pin Cable with the drive.

Edited by Leurgy, 18 September 2005 - 03:06 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Kip

Kip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:33 PM

I am running Windows Professional, the product number is PF180UA#ABA, Model # 2104US, the CPU is Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M processor 2800+ and it has 256 RAM. I am planning on add ing 512 of RAM when I replace the HD.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:32 AM

Never mind the cable its a laptop, my bad. :thumbsup:

XP, unless you have SP1 or greater on your OS CD, has a 132GB limit on the hard drive size it will recognize. A quick look at Newegg.com laptop hard drives shows that 120GB is the biggest they are selling now so that won't be an issue,

If you are using your HP Disks to program there is a certain procedure for that.

A screen with a list of options should appear: R, F, and Q. These options can change depending on the state of the hard drive. For example, if the hard drive is new, only R lists

Recovering from recovery discs

If you are using the recovery disks your new hard drive size will be misreported by XP. See Size of Disk Drive Does not Match Specifications

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users