Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multiple computers in my home...IP address conflict. HELP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lokisen

lokisen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

WOW!~! from the looks of all the posting titles in this forum I probably should take some time to search and see if my problem has been answered already...i'll bet it has. So forgive my early posting of my problem. Here it is:

I depowered my cable modem and router (and unhooked the Comcast cable as well) because I was having pixilation problems on my big screen. I know, dumb... ...resulting in my router re-setting itself to factory specs (and old network name).

So when I power everything back up, voila, I cannot see my network name, but I do see a name which was familiar (the original network name assigned when the router was first purchased).

I figured out what had happend, so far... So I click on that old network name and sure enough I have access to the internet from all computers (one hard wired desktop, three wireless lap tops. BUT, my network is not encrypted.

I go into the linksys web site (thank the lord I remembered my old user name and password...). At the Linksys web site they guide you through the process to reset you router. I set up the encryption protocol, shut down Linksys web site, AND,

Cannot access my network because it is "limited to local use..."

I go back to the LinkSys website, try changing things I probably should not. No luck.

So I finally set things up WITHOUT encryption. Now I can see my network but I want it encrypted. PLUS,

When I turn on more than one computer at a time I'm getting an error message that "the IP address on this computer is being used by other computers on your network!"

I do seem to recall that in doing the reconfiguration at LinkSys I may have been asked to click "yes" on getting a "new" IP address...and I bet with multiple computers on at that time, they ALL got the same IP address. Sound logical??

UPshot is, how, or can I set each of my computers with it's own IP address and still have each of them access my network at any time, regardless of how many are fired up. I assume yes, because that is the way it used to work!!!

Bleeping computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:40 AM

after you set your security level (WEP, WAP,) each computer must be told the encryption key in order to connect.
as to the ip issue, enable DHCP on the router and computers set to acquire ip automatically. the software may also allow you to set a range of ip's to be used so check that also.
alternately you disable DHCP, assign a range of ip's to be used and then assign an ip on each computer that is inside that range.

it is also wise to disable security until you have everything working the way that you want and finally add security and tell your computers the key.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

You have Comcast, you have to clone the PC's MAC address to the router. when Comcast comes out to install your modem they use your PC. They tie the MAC address of the PC to the MAC address of the modem to authorize your connection. So on that PC surf in and look around for MAC cloning or something like that. Just clone it and save, it'll be back up and running.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users