Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Manual" Cropping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 black069

black069

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm just looking for a (free) application that will simply allow me to crop an image (e.g. JPG) exactly how I want to, without the picture having to remain a rectangle.

For example, I have Picasa Photo Editor, Paint.net, Microsoft Office Picture Manager, among others. But, during the editing process, if I want to crop, then I have to move the edges up, down, left, right only. So, for example, if I have a great JPEG image of my wife but in the background there is the boogey man, I try to crop it such that the boogey man won't be in the photo, but I can't do so with my current applicaions without cutting off my wife's right leg, or if I can, I guess I don't know how.

It seems like there has to be a free program out there that will let you draw, using a pencil, for example, around the image you want to keep, and then click OK. But I've had no luck finding such a free program.

I appreciate your photo-editing expertise in advance.

...and Happy Easter!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:05 AM

GIMP should allow you to do that.
It has a lot of the functionality of Photoshop, but for free.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tjwh

tjwh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:41 AM

GIMP should allow you to do that.
It has a lot of the functionality of Photoshop, but for free.

Yes, GIMP is perfectly able to do this and much more, but with good old MSpaint that comes with every windows computer this can be done too!

1 Just open two mspaint screens (windows button+R, type mspaint, enter, repeat),
2 open the image you want to crop in one window,
3 select the the area to crop to with the select tool,
4 copy,
4b go to the second mspaint windows,
5 click outside the edges of the screen in the grey,
6 resize the drawing box to area very small (drag one of the small squares all the way to the upper left corner), paste and save, in your desired format.

#4 webdr

webdr

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hello,

Paint.Net : You don't have use rectangle selection. You would use other two selections one of them is lasso select and the other one is magic wand. Both of them are placed on tools pane. After you make your selection you could crop it.

#5 black069

black069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the ideas, folks! They all seem to work well. I think it's just a matter of what is the most intuitive/user-friendly, since they are all free and perform the tasks for which I am looking.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users