Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet problem--can get internet with ethernet, but not wireless

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IronHorseDriver

IronHorseDriver

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. I can connect to the internet using the ethernet cable, but am having trouble with wireless. The system is running the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility, and I can connect to a network with it. When connected, the "Wireless Network Connection" in the "Network Connections" window will show it as being connected. However, I will not get internet. When running Internet Explorer, I get the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I ran the connection diagnostics, and it shows the network connection status as "Connected", but under "HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity", the messages state that "The server name or address could not be resolved"

I tried to set it up with the "Internet Options" tab, but to no avail. I have also tried both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Thirdly, I've tried using the "Dell Support Center" program, but that is not able to access the internet either.

I also tried the "Broadcom Advanced Control Suite 2", and when the wireless is connected it will show it as working fine.

All drivers are current.

Any suggestions? I need this laptop for a mission trip I will be taking next week, and there will be times when I will need to use the wi-fi.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

I need some more information. What wireless router are you using? Can you do an ipconfig /all from the command prompt and list everything under the heading wireless adapter?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

Are you using a firewall?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users