Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Build

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HypeH

HypeH

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Hi guys, My first post!

I have built a few computers over the years but none recently. i decided it was time to build a new system. So i got all the gear together and built an i5 System.

Specs:

i5 650
MSI H55M-E33 Motherboard
4GB 1600MHz DDR3
Asus Geforce GT 220 1GB

This system is built in a Half Height case i aquired from work, as i am currently working for a computer company for my placement year of university.
I purchased from them:
Case
PSU
HDD
Memory Card Reader
Heatsink (designed for the Half Height Case, for the i5 Range)
Samsung DVD/RW

Now the problem!!!!

When i first built the system I ran into a few problems!

Problem 1: I built the whole system, it turned on, it was ready and roaring to go... till I realised I didn't buy a power cable for the DVD drive, so i couldnt install an OS *slaps face*.... I sorted that! i got 1 from work the next day....

Problem 2: I powered the PC on after adding the cable and found the system wouldnt display anything on the screen.... I fixed this issue by moving the memory modules to the Blue slots on the board...

Problem 3 (and still an ongowing problem!!!): The system booted up........ Began to install windows... first attempt wouldnt work, it kept telling me i needed a media disc with drivers? at first i thought there was a problem with the Drive... since the system was fine up untill I had given power to that drive.... but i decided to reburn the Disc and then magicly it started working..... up until the system randomly, no warnings, no beeps, nothing.... it just turned off and then instantly turned on.... I noticed a fan was caught on a cable... after moving the cable it stopped having this issue... windows installed.. and its been fine for a day.. it was on for 5 hours last night and around 3 today... i then shut it down. when i came home and turned it on... before it could even get to windows it did it again... and proceeded to do it 3-4 times before eventually it then stopped... windows loaded up and it didnt do it for about 2 hours... I checked online, some forums say over heating... some say hardware failure... at work they ensure me the setup and the case I have will not cause overheating as we distibute to a large Government sector in the UK (we are Viglen Limited)... and never had an issue with cooling with a similar setup. so at the moment i am stomped... but maybe Problem 4 has something to do with this issue???

Problem 4: The DVD drive reads discs when booting up, so i can install an OS, I can put the mobo disk in and run the Linux software that runs on the mobo disc.... when i first had the system installed, I could install software from a CD as i used it to install the Drivers to my Wireless Adapter... since then i haven't used the DVD Drive... today i attempted to install something from a DVD and found windows wont reconize the DVD drive. in device manager the drive has a yellow exclamation mark, I have tried updating and it says it cant update drivers, none found. I have checked the DVD Drive model number on the Microsoft website and it says its compatable with Win 7 pro x64 and automaticly installs...
Whats weird is the drive wont work in windows, but when you boot the pc up you can still boot from the drive and it reads disks.... So i dont understand whats happened?.... I have take the pc apart and checked for loose cables etc, none are lose. also in decide manager it has an exclamation next to PCI Communication Controller Device, and this also will not update....

Does anyone know what may be the solution for any of these problems!?

regards,
Alan

[EDIT]: I forgot to mention, if this helps. The DVD Drive is: Model: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-S083C ATA Device

Edited by HypeH, 02 April 2010 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

You mentioned you tried linux, will it read discs in linux? and is it only certain formats of discs, IE will it read CDs but not DVDs? some optical drives have 2 lenses, one for CDs, and one for DVDs. if the DVD lense is broke it will recognize CDs just fine but not DVDs, and vice versa.

Second question, do you have all the proper codecs installed? you can get them here http://www.windows7codecs.com/

as far as cooling, just because it works 99% of the time, doesn't mean its not over heating. You may have applied to much thermal paste or not enough between the heatsink and the die, fan going bad, or temp in your room is to high or humid, or perhaps you do have hardware malfunctioning which would cause it to overheat, first step to find out is to find out what your temps actually are by using a tool such as this post your temps on here and we shall go from there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:11 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

for the DVD Drive: in windows it doesnt even detect the drive. there is power to the drive, i can open it and a light flashes to indicate its detected a dvd/cd in it, but nothing on the system.

however, when i turn the pc on, it will boot from cd and dvd's e.g. installing an OS. the linux is a disk that came with the mobo. called winki? for msi mobos. it lets you boot from cd into linux to do stuff like browse the net etc without having to load windows.

currently i am out but before i left i left the system on and had my bro check it every now and then to see if it powers off. so far it hasn't. he just checked the bios for CPU temp and system temp.

CPU Temp: 68
System Temp: 40
CPU Fan Speed: 4200
System Fan 1 Speed: 1600

is that a little slow for system fan?

when i get home tonight i will load up the app you mentioned and get a full reading of GPU temp, HDD Temp etc.

Thank you again, I hope I can find what the problems are being caused by and fix them! :thumbsup:

regards,
Alan

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

is that in celsius or fahernheit? if its in fah. the temps fine, if in celsius, the CPU is definetly on the warm side. As for the system fan speed, it depends on the size and type of fan. If that linux variant that came with your MSI board allows you to use it and windows not, then its either a driver compatibility issue or a codec issue, I gave you a link for the proper codecs in my previous post.

Edited by the_patriot09, 03 April 2010 - 02:17 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:52 AM

I have just tried those Codecs, still no luck.

in My Computer the drive still doesn't show.

I have tried uninstalling the device from Device Manager, then rebooting the system, it detects the drive but then says it fails to install the device drivers.... but according to microsofts website its compatible and windows will automaticly install the drivers... its also the main drive we use at work on our production line for all our half height systems so i am 100% positive the drive works with Windows 7.... it also worked the first time I ran the system with windows because I used the drive to install my wireless adaptor software as mentioned before...

Here is a more acurate reading to the temps, to me it all looks perfectly fine.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7931/tempsu.jpg

regards,
Alan

Edited by HypeH, 03 April 2010 - 02:55 AM.

#6 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:11 AM

Driver fixed!

i edited the registries. deleted the upperfilter and lowerfilter and rebooted the machine. the drive is now detected! :huh:

now to work out this shutting down problem! :thumbsup:

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

well-glad one problem is fixed-now, are those temps you gave me in Fah or celsius? if theyre in Celsius, the CPU is running way to hot, I would recomend removing the heatsink, cleaning off the old thermal paste, and reapplying it, and reseating the heatsink.

picard5.jpg

#8 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thats in Celsius....

I have removed the heatsink 2 times as i had to move part of the casing inside that was obstructed by the heatsink, it may be possible i messed up the Thermal Conductivity compound. I will try that and see what happens.

I have checked the device manager, It also said the "PCI Simple Communication Controller was incorrectly installed. I understand this controls the fans? So i got that fixed, and i thought may that was the problem! but it seems not, as when i went to make a reply it all cut out again....

Ever item in the case is brand new apart from 1 item... The Graphics card which i purchased on Ebay.... (was listed as new... but the box was open... mmmmmmmmm)

The graphics card is an Asus Geforce GT 220 1GB DDR3 PCi Express Card...

I am thinking, as this systems quite a compact and small system, only 1 system fan in the case + PSU Fan... Could the GFX be the problem? could it be over heating? its temp is currently 63 Celsius...

Also, with an i5 650, 4gb ram, and this graphics card is the 300W PSU enough do you think? maybe theres not enough power and it may be causing a sudden power cut?

I have noticed since I have had windows installed, the majority of the time the system calapses is when I have a movie playing, or an application such as 3D Studio Max when i am doing 3D modeling which would be when the graphics card is being used a lot...?

I am going to test the system tomorrow morning with the onboard graphics and remove the gfx card.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance for your support :thumbsup:

Regards,
Alan

#9 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

This is the GFX Card that i have in the system:

http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=yfA5F...&templete=2

ENGT220/G/DI/1GD3(LP)

system just cut out again... ughhh.

I have searched everywhere for information on the PSU requirements for this model, and i cant seem to locate any information. I have found information on different models made by different manafacturers... some say 300W and some say 350W..... but they are full height cards.

Possible problem you think?

#10 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

can scrap the GFX card idea...

tested with no GFX card, Same issue is occuring.

BIOS Update next?

currently running 1.3... and 1.5 is available...

[edit]:

can scrap the bios update too... it says my version of windows is not compatible with bios update.... even though the mobo is compatible with Windows 7 x64....
I have tried contacting MSI with the issue also. It seems their sites a little out dated... lol... it doesnt even have Windows 7 as an OS option in their technical support contact page when you fill in system details >.< *Sighs*

Edited by HypeH, 03 April 2010 - 04:35 PM.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

you should always remove and reapply the thermal interface fluid every time you remove the heatsink, it needs to be evenly spread and every time you remove it, it messes it up. it may go back on even, but then again, it may not. How are the fans set up? the system temp is a bit warm as well-not sure why. For cooling, what fans are you using and where? you should have one fan, at least 80 mm, ( I prefer 120 mm if possible) blowing fresh air in, and one fan in the back blowing hot air out.

As well, what type of PSU do you have? brand, wattage, and amperage, particularly on the +12v rails? sometimes, if the PSU is to weak to handle all the components (particularly the video card as they normally draw the most power of all the components) it can overheat the system.

picard5.jpg

#12 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

I have opened up the case, checked the CPU etc, all is ok. I have cleared the cables up so they do not block the fans as its quite small. the airflow in the case seems fine. the temps on CPU and System Temp is all below 40 Celsius now... sometimes the CPU will go to 41-45 but general remains below 40.

the system stays on as normal but then random power cuts. I am starting to think it may possibly be the PSU faulty. Unfortunately i do not have any spare PSU's at home. I acquired the PSU/Case and a few other parts from the company i work at, So i think the best thing i can do at this stage is to keep the system powered down. As i dont want to cause any serious harm to the Motherboard or any hardware with it constantly cutting out on power.

I will speak to the Product Development Engineer in our department on Tuesday when we return to work after Easter holidays and speak to him. He knows the case, psu and the component very well as its his duty to test and approve the hardware for out company. possibly see if i can take the unit in and he can test it and maybe track down what the issue is.

I will keep you posted on the outcome :thumbsup:

Regards,
Alan

#13 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

I had the system tested today! :thumbsup:

So here's the pickle!

We believe its between the Motherboard and the Memory Modules.

There are 4 slots as shown below:

DIMM2 (Blue)
DIMM1 (Black)
DIMM4 (Blue)
DIMM3 (Black)

When i run the memory as shown below, If i power on the system, it will get to the MSI Screen and then power off, power on, get to msi screen and repeat doing the same.

EMPTY
MEMORY
EMPTY
MEMORY

When I run the memory as shown below, if i power on the system (this is how I have had it set)... It takes a 3-5 second delay from when i press the power button, and the system powering up. I can get into windows, sometimes its on for 3-5 hours with no problems, other times 20-30 seconds and it powers off then back on... (it sometimes does it during boot up also before getting to windows).

MEMORY
EMPTY
MEMORY
EMPTY

When I run the memory as shown below (only 1 module in DIMM1), the system operates perfectly. there is no power failure, or power cuts...
At first, i thought it must mean there is a faulty memory module... However, I have tested both memory modules in DIMM1, and the system works perfectly fine with them both (when using only 1 at a time).

EMPTY
MEMORY
EMPTY
EMPTY

So, does this mean there is an issue with the motherboard? or am i putting them in the incorrect slots?

Regards,
Alan

Edited by HypeH, 05 April 2010 - 06:43 AM.

#14 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:25 AM

Nope....

after further testing its still doing it even with 1 module at a time in the system

im going insane!

#15 HypeH

HypeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

heyyy again!

So 11 days later they finaly dispatch replacement memory modules...

i test it out... the same issue occurs...

the memory is meant to be 1600MHz DDR3

i find that they have stuck a sticker over the top and perm marked over the top of 1066MHz....

the engineer at work says they have overclocked the memory....

so I have my system home now..

the guy has contacted me... he says to "change the ram voltage from 1.5v to 1.6v"

my guess is, if they are overclocked they need more power? but i dont know how to do this... how do i increase the voltage?

second thing he said was "try lowering their specs"... why would i pay for "1600MHz memory" and then lower the specs? i might aswell have just brought 1066? like the knob'ed sold me and over clocked it....

how do i lower its specs?

any ideas guys? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users