Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

html game.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

hey,
I recently got told that making a game with HTML being the most-used language would be impossible and, being the competitive git i am, decided to say it's possible.
So far, using images and just html, i have made interactive stories and who wants to be a millionaire style games.
My latest attempt i think will be awesome - pokemon fan game.
It would have a table looking like the bottom half of the pokemon screen with hyperlinks to fight, items etc. and the moves.
Then there would be the top half going through the actions.

There is one thing i can't do though - which is the animation.
example;
the player chooses tackle, the pokemon then moves across the screen like in the game series.

how would i incorperate it?
It only has to be majority-HTML so a little bit of JS or whatever won't hurt ;P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

You can't do it in just HTML. The ML in HTML stands for Markup Language, where markup means "detailed stylistic instructions for typesetting something that is to be printed (or displayed)". I want to fly, but flapping my arms won't make it happen. HTML has no convention for moving things across a page, keeping score, etc. That all requires Javascript, and a lot of it.

EDIT: In retrospect, it could be done with minimal Javascript, but it would be so cumbersome that it just as well be impossible.

#3 fallendream

fallendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

You can't do it in just HTML. The ML in HTML stands for Markup Language, where markup means "detailed stylistic instructions for typesetting something that is to be printed (or displayed)". I want to fly, but flapping my arms won't make it happen. HTML has no convention for moving things across a page, keeping score, etc. That all requires Javascript, and a lot of it.

EDIT: In retrospect, it could be done with minimal Javascript, but it would be so cumbersome that it just as well be impossible.

Ah, i see.
I'm assuming having hidden flash player controls exactly where the links are wouldn't work?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

No, you could use Flash, but that would not be the same thing as using strictly HTML, and would add another layer of difficulty.

There are a couple of things that are an issue. HTML only has two default actions for buttons; submit and clear. If you want a button to do anything else, it either requires Javascript, or it requires that it be a Flash button. Either way, it takes a substantial amount of code that is not HTML. Even 'hidden' flash negates the idea that you can do it strictly in HTML.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users