Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aero Screwed up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jakeh1322

Jakeh1322

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

A few weeks ago my vista aero was missing this is my last resort to get it back i will list a number of things i have tried. My only options under the color and appearance are. Windows standard, windows classic, and a few high contrast ones. When i try to change to the aero theme i get an error that says "the theme could not load. the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid. File C:\Windows\resources\themes\aero.theme" I have run virus scans with eset smart security 4.0, super anti-spyware and malware bytes. The only virus that picked up was with malware bytes and is was reset.exe i believe. I downloaded another aero theme files from a reputable source and it wont let me overwrite the file even with admin privilages. I installed vista glazz and it says my msstyle file is invalid. when i click on the windows folder and the resources folder they checked read-only. so i tried unchecking all the folders, again even with admin wouldnt let me. so i ran an sfc /scannow and it came up with this(attached file).
Please someone help with this if i have to reinstall windows i will but i would really not have to if i could. Please no posts about why use aero just uses up resources. I like the way it looks

Here are my system specs

HP pavilion
amd 64x2 4800 2.5 ghz
ati 3870
2x1gb ocz ddr2 800 ram
320 gb hd

everything is with the latest drivers. even tried rollling back some ati drivers with no avail

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:56 PM

Have you enabled the Display Windows Manager Service?

#3 Jakeh1322

Jakeh1322
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Yes i ran the windows aero troubleshooting program and it said the desktop window manager service is disabled, went into services and it showed it was started and on automatic, tried restarting it and it did nothing, restarted the computer, nothing

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Tried updating drivers?

#5 Jakeh1322

Jakeh1322
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

i have tried updating all drivers for everything that i know of like said even tried rolling back to an older ati graphics driver and to no avail.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

What is in the Advanced System Settings when you right click on My Computer then select Properties?

#7 Jakeh1322

Jakeh1322
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

are you talking about adjusting the stuff for best appearance/ best performance. Its set on the best appearance. Tried changing back to performance. hit apply, then back to appearance still nothing. gunna try one for thing i know avast has a startup virus scan thats free. maybe some virus that boots with windows. i dont know kinda weird that i cant edit the themes folder even with admin privileges

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users