Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd connection problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

I will try to explain my problem has thorough as possible, but the whole situation really is baffling me.

Background info:
I go to the University of Maryland.
Currently using the ethernet connection.

The Problem: When I connect using the ethernet connection, everything seems to be fine. But when I try to play my game, Heroes of Newerth, the game will constantly get an abnormal ping. For east servers the ping should be around 20-50 for most the servers, but instead it is a constant 200+ ping when I refresh the server list for all the servers. Now here's the odd part. The same latency issue used to happen with ventrilo, but just recently the ventrilo problem seemingly fixed itself. Instead of also getting a constant 200+ ping, it now hovers around 9-20 like it should be. When I use cmd.exe to ping websites, everything seems fine. When I run speedtests online, I get a consistent 8mbps down, and 7 up. When I use the wireless connection ,the ping in game is correct( which again baffles me)

What I've tried so far: I've uninstalled avast, but it made no difference. I've tried the Ethernet on my friends laptop for the game, and his is fine. I've reinstalled the game, made no difference.

Any help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

What version of windows is on the PC?

Have you updated the drivers for the Ethernet card? I'd get the latest drivers, uninstall it from device manager, reboot and install it with the new drivers.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 bradumd

bradumd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

I'm using windows 7 64bit.

I just updated my ethernet driver (atheros ar8131) to the most recent driver I believe (v 1.0.0.3.3) but the problem still persists.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

You can try resetting the TCP/IP stack - Search for cmd, right click it in the list and click Run as Admin then type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt at the prompt and hit Enter. Reboot and let us know.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 bradumd

bradumd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

nope tried it and it still made no difference =(

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

When you said you just updated the drivers, did you just download and install them? My recommendation is uninstall the card in Device manager and if there is any software installed for it in Add/Remove programs( or whatever Win7 calls it ) uninstall that as well. Reboot and use the new drivers to install it.

It could be a bad NIC. New ones are fairly cheap. If its on-board you'll may have to go into the BIOS to shut it off but maybe not just don't plug a wire into the on-board NIC.

#7 bradumd

bradumd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Ok well here's a little update. I made a mistake with my initial diagnosis. The connection problem actually occurs with my friends computer too (I didn't realize when I disconnected his wireless connection to test the ethernet, it reconnected to another wireless network). That means that it is not my computer, but rather the Universities connection.

Now here's the question. Do you have any idea why only this program seems to have this connection issue and only when using the ethernet? What could be the cause of this? Other games like Counter Strike ping fine and programs like Ventrilo work fine. It's weird how the connection problem only occurs with this specific game. I think my next step is to ask the OIT at my school to see if they know what the problem is.

Edited by bradumd, 05 April 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:10 AM

When reading this I was thinking "Well the next people he needs to talk to are the people that admin the network." So that is a good place to start. The other thing I would do is find people on campus that play and if they have the same issue.

You can throttle bandwidth for certain programs or ports. But why they would do that on the wired but not the wireless connection is beyond me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users