Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Windows 7 to XP to transfer files?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MsRin

MsRin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hello :)

I just got a new laptop running Windows 7 and want to transfer some movie files from my old Desktop PC that is running Windows XP Professional. I want to do a clean install of XP on the desktop as i am giving it to a friend. First i need to transfer my files. How do i do this over the wireless network? I set up a homegroup for my boyfriend and my laptops, but they are both running Windows 7, so it was easy. I just can't seem to connect them to the desktop. Could i just get a USB lead and plug the laptop into the PC and do it that way? Can anyone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

Have you considered using Microsoft's Easy Transfer from XP to Windows 7?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

homegroups only seem to work between win7 computers.

Set the work group on both systems to the same name and then share the dir you want to copy on the xp box.

It will show up under network in my computer.

If you use simple sharing, look up how to turn it ff so you can really share files to the workgroup.

You may need to login with the same admin capable login name on both systems.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 07 April 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

homegroups only seem to work between win7 computers. ...

Actually, homegroups ONLY work with Win 7 computers. In order to mix XP and Win 7 computers on a network the Win 7 computers need to "leave the homegroup" then they need to be added to a workgroup just as was done with XP.

You can buy an Easy Transfer USB cable which will work but you can also use Easy Transfer with removable media such as a thumb drive, USB external Hard drive or CD/DVD. If you don't have too much data and since you don't need a permanent solution because you are going to give the desktop to a friend, this seems like the quickest and easiest solution for you. In fact, you don't even need the Easy Transfer software to use this method. If you have an external USB HDD, for instance, hook it to the Win 7 computer, copy the movie files to it, disconnect the drive from the Win 7 computer, plug it into the XP computer and copy the movie files to the XP machine.

Edited by strolln, 07 April 2010 - 12:17 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

I had an existing XP home network and then connected a Win 7 laptop.

There are Help menu instructions in Win 7 for how to join an existing home network, I followed those.

My Win 7 can easily see/access all files on either of my XP systems...the only possible stumbling point I have now is that XP recognizes the Win 7 system as part of the group (renamed from mshome to workgroup) but the XP systems prompt me for passwords for access (which I have not set up).

The homegroup...is not the network. The homegroup is strictly Win 7 talking to Win 7.

If you click on Computer...take a look at Network. If all is working as it should, you should be able to see all computers on the network, once the workgroup name is the same for all. Workgroup is the default name used by Win 7, just as mshome is the default for XP.

FWIW: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5391/175-wi...ow-to-articles/

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/s...ndows-7-and-xp/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users