Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Protector

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pirater666

Pirater666

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

Through pure stupidity, I managed to get the fake antivirus Virus Protector. It was so bad I just turned my computer off. Now when I want to turn it on, it boots up but only Virus Protector is visible. Everything else is black! I can't get to Malwarebytes or avast to perform a scan. I used a Kaspersky bootable cd but, after 6 hours of scanning, it found nothing. The only thing I can think to do now is format my computer but there are files I can't afford to lose and i can't backup my files if I can't see them. Please help :'(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

Hi Pirater666,

Welcome to BC. The topic will be moved to Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal (VTSMR) forum. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (scanning or running other tools, updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might interfere with our fixes. Please let me know in your next reply if you agree with this.

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 key:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Last Known Good Configuration menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.
  • Log to your usual account. And tell me if the situation is better for us to run our tools. Don't reboot the computer for the time being.

Edited by farbar, 02 April 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:49 AM

This thread will now be closed due to lack of activity.

If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users